Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
Registered

Garage
Looking at my first 912 ... bit of help please . 5 digit vin ?

Iím looking at a 67 tomorrow .
Been in storage for 8 or more years.
Minimum info right now.
I have a vin decoder, paint code sheet, and know where to look for numbers and where to look for rust. (I own a 914 ... lol)
Owned a 75 911 in the past so have a frame of reference.

My question is what size wrench to attempt to turn the engine over at the crank? Will a socket fit in there or do I need a flat wrench?

Any other insight / info always welcome.
Thanks

Last edited by Wyvern; 09-13-2020 at 02:31 PM..
Old 09-12-2020, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Maybe do your visual inspection first. If it then looks like you might make an offer on the car, I'd pull the plugs and spray lots of lubricant into the cylinders. Then check if there's any oil in the crankcase and overfill the crankcase with some thin, cheap motor oil. Let it sit as long as practically possible and slowly and gently attempt to turn the motor. I'd take a crescent wrench and first use the generator pulley to try to turn it. If it slips the belt, then try the crankshaft pulley. If the car might end up in your garage, you don't want to damage any internals while turning the engine. I've seen dry motors completely filled with oil, externally heated with a hot air gun for a few hours, and then very gently "rocked" and turned. If the motor's infact shot, you're out some oil and a little time. If it isn't that bad you've saved yourself some cracked rings and maybe bearing damage.
Either way, good luck & hope it all works out.
Bill
Old 09-12-2020, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
Thanks ... yes great points . I have brought back many a sitting engine. . Lots of lube snd time . Knowing if it just turned / wasnít frozen would really help me make a educated decision . Or assume it doesnít and negotiate it that way.
Old 09-12-2020, 09:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Registered

Garage

A 5 digit vin ?
And I canít find this paint code anywhere...

Last edited by Wyvern; 09-13-2020 at 02:38 PM..
Old 09-13-2020, 02:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Registered

Garage
That's one seriously early 912, probably an early 1965, before the chassis numbers changed to 6 digits beginning with 3.

912VIN.com
912VIN.com
Old 10-12-2020, 10:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Registered

Do you see any other colors besides light ivory ?

Old 10-13-2020, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: