Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Torsion bar bushing replacement

Hi everyone. My 69 912 rear torsion bar rubber bushings need to be replaced since they are worn out. Is this a hard project to attept? I have never done it but have been told there is a lot of labor involved in it. And if replaced is there a noticable improvement in the ride?
Thanks, Mark
Old 10-10-2001, 07:27 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Just finished the project myself. Check out the tech article on pelican. Instead of burning off the left over rubber, I used a 4" side-grinder with a wire brush to sand it off. Be shure to mark your angles on the body with the bar hanging loose of the banana arm to get the same setting when you go back. Setting your angle will be a bear if you do not mark them. Took me 3 tries because PO had lowered the car with worn out bushings. PS. US spec. ride height on rear is set by taking the measurement to the center of the rear wheel and adding 12mm. This result is the height the center of the torsion tube should be. My rim center was 11 3/4" so torsion tube center should be 12 1/4". I lowered it 1" to 11 1/4" torsion tube center. Handles like its on rails. If you lower yours, you should lower the front proportunitely. Measurement is to center of torsion tube. Front measurement is roughly 5" below center of rim. Mine ended up being 6 3/4 to center of torsion tube (6" below rim center). Some people use fender height. I do not recomentd this because 911 and 912,s were hand built and may not be accurate. I had one 1/4 off by going with fender height and it throws off your corner balance. Good luck!

------------------
Duane
'73 914, '76 912E,
& '76 VW BUS (ALL 2.0L)
Old 10-10-2001, 02:30 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Mark

Take at look a Dave Hillmans web site at
http://www.hillmanimages.com/912/bushings.html

for a little extra info

HTH
Alan
Old 10-11-2001, 07:49 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Old 10-11-2001, 07:49 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: