Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply
912E #444

Garage
Send a message via Skype™ to racerpaul
912E Newbie! How am I doin?

Well... I finally fulfilled a life long dream! I've always wanted a early 911 or 912 coupe ever since my High School buddy and I hijacked his older brother's 68 911 for a joyride one fine fall day!

I've always been a TR, MG, Jag wonk and a Formula Ford and F2000 pilot and never had the opportunity to go looking for that elusive Porsche project... untill my wife found 'Butzy'

Butzy is a pet name my Dad called me as a 'junge' and now the name affixed to our find... a 1976 912E with 98k miles and a 5 speed with all the correct 'Einspritz' system intact!

Found it on Cars dot com and went up last Wednesday from LI to Westport CT with a flat bed and brought it home.

Very glad to have found this forum... I'm sure I'll be a regular visitor... thanks in advance to all who are here and help newbies like me.

Posted some pix...

Thanks
Paul

Last edited by racerpaul; 08-13-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Old 03-08-2008, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
you should visit and perhaps join also.
http://www.912bbs.org/index.php
Chas.
Old 03-08-2008, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Paul, It looks nice! You should visit the above site and contact Aric Gless. He is compiling a list/history of all 912E's. I have #224 in Guards Red.

Fran
Old 03-08-2008, 05:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by C. Clark View Post
you should visit and perhaps join also.
http://www.912bbs.org/index.php
Chas.

Thanks Mr. Clark! Wilco!

Paul
912E #444 Former Formula 2000 / Formula Ford piloto.
"Butzi"

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-912-technical-forum/397159-912e-newbie-how-am-i-doin.html
Old 03-11-2008, 09:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 76912E View Post
Paul, It looks nice! You should visit the above site and contact Aric Gless. He is compiling a list/history of all 912E's. I have #224 in Guards Red.

Fran
Thanks Fran!

#224, is that the number of your car on that list? Um... I was about to ask you what year your 912E is... duh! What a rookie!!!

Paul
"Butzi"

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-912-technical-forum/397159-912e-newbie-how-am-i-doin.html

Last edited by racerpaul; 03-11-2008 at 10:11 AM.. Reason: spelling
Old 03-11-2008, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerpaul View Post
Thanks Fran!

#224, is that the number of your car on that list? Um... I was about to ask you what year your 912E is... duh! What a rookie!!!

Paul
Yes, I guess. 0224 are the last 4 numbers of the serial number (out of 2099).

Fran
Old 03-12-2008, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
912E #444

Garage
update time!

Thanks again all... supplied info to Aric for the registry, Butzi is 912E #0444.

Starting to effort getting him on the road. Weather curtailed any brake work as it's going to be done in my driveway. The rains and wind did at least reveal a problem.

Discovered an annoying water leak that I need to trace. When I first saw the car on the day I made the deal, there was lotsa water in the rear passenger floor wells. I attributed that to doors being left ajar. Although the drivers door needs some attention and the drivers window window mechanism doesn't roll up without assistance, all the recent rain only produced a small puddle of water in the passenger side rear footwell and it looks like it seeps in from behind or below? I couldn't find a drip or entry path other than from below?? Any advice?

I've pulled back the carpeting on the center tunnel and bottom of the seat so I can see...and of course removed the carpets... but can't see where it comes in?

Also found that the instrument lights don't illuminate, seems like the light switch rotary action just turns and turns... does that mean the switch is ng? I'll have to get under the dash and ring it out.

Starts and runs and sounds pretty good I guess... proof will be the first test drive after I go through the brakes and front shocks came with brand new Konis in a box and one of the service tickets indicated needed replacement. Also the parking brake needs adjustment.

...to be continued
"Butzi"

Old 03-20-2008, 07:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Butzy Update

Well one tank of Hi Test has been burned and I guess you could say the shakedown period is well under way.

I've been driving back and forth to work each day (about 5 miles) and a few local weekend jaunts.

Even with the little problems that could improve the drivability it's tons of fun to drive, much more solid and responsive than any TRr's or MG's from my previous endeavors.

Some of the issues to be addressed:

That darn water leak, now I suspect the sunroof (that I haven't tried yet, afraid that it may not reclose), but sooner or later I'll have to troubleshoot it.

The idle is very high when I start and the shortly decreases to the point where it doesn't hold an idle at all and just putts out. Tune up and such?

Second and Fourth gear don't engage all the way without some fiddlin, very sloppy linkage and I'll probably do a short throw mod and new shifter bearings.

Guage lights inop, need a new light switch.

The driver side window only rolls down about 1/4 of the way and jambs, probably needs a new regulator.

Other than the little rust bubbles here and there and the crummy repaint touch ups on the fenders, there are really no big problems!

Sooooo... the adventure continues, here's a few pix.

Thanks to all!

"Butzi"

Old 06-12-2008, 10:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Update on issues... Dash lights now work, seems only the knob is loose and the switch is working ok, turned the shaft and viola! The dash lights come on.

Seems like the driver side window that only rolls down about a quarter will roll all the way down after a little while in the 1/4 down position?? Guess the vibrations kinda shake things up and then it will roll al the way down. Probably something askew in the regulator.

More tweaks to come...
"Butzi"

Old 07-15-2008, 06:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Windows

On my 912e the windows were very stiff going up and down. After 30 years, dried out grease resembles glue more than lubricant. I removed all the old grease and cleaned up all the parts. I used a high quality grease on all the moving parts and put it back together.

The difference is night and day. The windows glide up and down and feel like a million bucks. Porsches were top of the line back then and with maintenance the windows can feel top of the line again today.

Tom Zuraw
Old 07-16-2008, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Thanks Tom, that makes sense!
"Butzi"

Old 07-16-2008, 02:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Idle problems

On going idle problem is getting annoying... driveability suffers, ...so far the gasket between the throttle body and manifold was ng, so it was replaced... still no idle, I downloaded a Bosch Einspritzung Manual off the internet so maybe that will help...

Any suggestions?
"Butzi"

Old 08-13-2008, 09:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by racerpaul View Post
On going idle problem is getting annoying... driveability suffers, ...so far the gasket between the throttle body and manifold was ng, so it was replaced... still no idle, I downloaded a Bosch Einspritzung Manual off the internet so maybe that will help...

Any suggestions?

Check the valve lash when the engine is cold. (intake: .006", exhaust: .008") Replace ALL the vacuum lines in the engine compartment!!!

Fran
Old 08-13-2008, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Fran,

Did all that and it helped! Thanks..

Paul
"Butzi"

Old 09-13-2008, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Paul, I'm glad it's coming together for you!!! I'm guessing the replacement of vacuum lines made the biggest difference...any vacuum leak in the Type IV & L-Jetronic will vastly change engine dynamics.

Fran
Old 09-15-2008, 02:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Porsche Crest Butzi Update

Well, most of the issues mentioned in the previous postings have been addressed.

A new ball cup bushing installation dramatically improved shift action. Not even thinking of a short shift refit now.. at least for a while.

Solved the idle problem by checking and replacing air / vacuum hoses and general tightening up of everything, including a loose exhaust manifold bolt.

Another oil and filter change and we're off and driving with greater drivability.

A fairly good cleaning and detailing here and there and a complete compounding and buff job made a world of difference appearance wise. I should post some shiny new pictures soon.

I repaired the cracked stick shift knob and will post pix and details on that subject as well.

Thanks all for your help ...

More to follow... stay tuned!
"Butzi"

Old 10-09-2008, 08:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Porsche Crest Shifter knob repair

My original stick shift knob was cracked around the shaft area so badly that the crimp sleeve would not work.

I used a aluminum collar fashioned from a old crab net handle sawed off to about an inch in size. The aluminum looks like diamond plate. Some JB Weld and a little metal polish and ... viola!

Doesn't look to bad but if you think the collar look a little to 'blingy' some black vinyl heat shrink tubing can hide it.

I've attached a pic or two, a little blurry but you can get the general idea.

"Butzi"

Old 10-10-2008, 09:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Winter Sux!

"Butzi"

Old 01-23-2009, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)
912E #444

Garage
Well time to get busy getting 'Butzy' up to it's potential as because of life issues and just being too damn busy the rolling restoration has been stalled.

I plan on a complete mechanical going thru to get the idle issue handled once and for all and the other niggling issues solved.

The rust bubbles here and there are growing and paint will be redone.

While it was resting comfortably last winter in the yard of my good friends shop some cretan jumped up on the roof and tryed to put his #12's thru the sunroof so that needs some repair as well.

So off it goes back to Dan's shop (MVP Automotive in Bellport Village) on the hook for the mechanical work.

Took the stuck Pedal Cluster out and sent it to Bruce Stone for his magic touch and looking forward to some real progress.
"Butzi"

Old 08-22-2014, 04:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
Paul, good for you, the E's are nice cars. One thing not to miss is replacing all the fuel lines as
they can and will turn your car into a crispy critter if you don't. (My first E was one of those-got it that way many years ago)
Old 08-28-2014, 07:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: