Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 912 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Generator fitment Issues (small vs large)

I have a 68' engine in my 69' 912. From a number of issues going on, I deduced that I needed to replace the generator, thus I bought one from Bosch that was stated to replace the generator of a 68' engine, it's a GR-15-N. Multiple sites, including our forum site listed it as a stock replacement for the 68' engine. Looking at it side-by-side with the generator on the engine (part #101.206.113) the Bosch is clearly larger. Looking around a bit more, it looks like my 68' engine has the 'small' generator that puts out 25amps and only a few 68' and all 69' engines came with the larger generator. I can't seem to find a new/oem replacement for the small generator, only rebuilds that start at about $450 and sky-rocket up to $900. Is there anyway to get the Bosch to fit, or am I better off just returning it and going a different route? Also, I looked at doing the alternator conversion, seems like it's still about $275 for the bosch alternator plus another $585 for the new stand and brackets to make it all fit. All input is appreciated and I have <30 days to return the new bosch generator if the recommendation is to go a different route. Thanks

For the record I looked back at the pelican site and it lists the gr-15-n for 68 engines with the 420 option

Looking for Engine #4096213
Old 10-18-2017, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
My generator stand is part number 616.101.216.01, if I get the generator stand for the larger generator which I think is 616.101.217... will I be able to use this new generator?

Old 10-18-2017, 04:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett Voigt View Post
...will I be able to use this new generator?
The short answer is 'no'. Changing the generator involves not only the stand, but also the 'pie plates' (generator to fan shroud tin) and fan and regulator may be different too (unsure - it's been awhile). Only early-build MY68 had the smaller diameter generator (likely leftover from MY67 production).

Smaller generator costs are sky-rocketing because they have not had an application since MY67 while large generators have later VW applications (with increased production numbers). Viable options:
  • Get the complete large generator setup.
  • Find a local auto (tractor) electric shop that is familiar and can rebuild the small generator. (May not be possible as some parts are NLA.)
  • Convert to an alternator setup. (There are kits available.)

Peter
Old 10-19-2017, 04:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I can’t find much on any different plates, tins or fans frim 68-69. I’m sure your right though. The alternator option seems more and more appealing. Ive seem a few things about this place Autoelectric in CA that people like to recommend. I might give them a call.

Old 10-19-2017, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Quote:
I can’t find much on any different plates, tins or fans frim 68-69. I’m sure your right though.
You are really asking questions/seeking info on the wrong forum. Go here, join if you haven't (using your real name; we like it that way...), and use the search function with 'generator': you'll see pages and pages of listings; just start trying to digest it all.

Quote:
The alternator option seems more and more appealing. Ive seem a few things about this place Autoelectric in CA that people like to recommend. I might give them a call.
Google: Zims Autotechnik Alternator (Pelican blocks Zims links)

Peter

Last edited by Peter Graham; 10-19-2017 at 09:16 AM.. Reason: link bad - apparently Pelican blocks Zims Autotechnik
Old 10-19-2017, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Differences include:
Generator stand, gasket, cover plate, fan, fan nut, fan hub, fan housing cover, fan cover reinforcement flange & maybe some smaller hardware.
By the time you've sourced the parts (keeping in mind that they're all 50yr old used items) you're better off with an alt. conversion, especially if you're going to keep your car. Also you'll have a small gen. & some associated parts to sell which will offset some of your outlay.
Bill

Last edited by WFBowen; 10-20-2017 at 08:48 AM..
Old 10-20-2017, 08:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Could you be more specific?
Old 11-09-2017, 12:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Technical Article Directory    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: