Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

High Performance Engine Rebuilder

Has anyone herd of Mark Stephen High performance engine rebuilders. Anyone have any dealings with this shop. They have a website that you can checkout: www.markstephenshp.com/mshp/ They are located on the West Coast.
Old 09-24-1999, 09:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Yes. I purchased a Stage II rebuilt motor for my aircooled '82 VW Vanagon. This was a stroked, 2.2L, with a slightly modified cam. I used all of my stock EFI and emissions stuff with it.

I am happy with the motor in terms of power, although the gas mileage is a lot less than stock. It's got a lot more oomph than stock, although since my Vanagon weighs about 3500lbs, longevity will probably not be as good. The motor has to work hard to move that "barn on wheels".

As far as warranty and support after the sale, they were pretty great to deal with. I neglected to reinstall my 02 sensor because I was using an extractor type exhaust, ran the motor lean under load and subsequently burned a piston. The motor was still under warranty, and although this was obviously my fault, they sold me a replacement set of pistons/liners at cost and inspected/repaired the heads for free. They even offered to lend me a device for testing the air/fuel mixture at the exhaust pipe so that I wouldn't make this mistake again. All in all, I would say that they stand behind their work.

I am planning to rebuild a 2.0 just slightly over stock specification for my 914 and plan to have them do the heads and balance everything.

So, I guess the answer is yes, they are worth considering.
Old 09-24-1999, 07:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I trashed my 1.7L last month, so I sent out a 2.0L crank, Rods, and Heads that I had picked up at the Hershey swap meet to Mark Stephens. Also I sent a 1.7L case (no difference) For the past two weeks I have been putting the finished 2.1L back together and into the 70 914 of mine.
Everything I have seen and measured for reassembly was dead on. The case was perfect.
I had the car out tonight for the first run, now the question is how soon can I get the engine broken in and which radar detector is the best one. The car will be used for fun and a lot of autocross as soon as possible so we will be testing the Mark Stephens job out quite completely.
As for the company, They, Norm, is happy to answer all of your questions completely and no matter how many times you call for info to help make up your mind. Most important, was that what they promised was what the delivered. In Quality and in the machine work. I've been rebuilding Fords since the late 60's and their work is as good as I like to see. On the other side, they charge your card as soon as they start the work. Also I think that new Web site has given them enough more work that they are used to and as such are tad bit behind. I expected 4 week turn around and got 8 week, but there could be a lot of other factors involved that I don't know of. The price was very fair what else can I say? (unless of course I blow the sucker up, but I promise to behave and not over-run it for a few years at least)
Bill K.

------------------
Old 09-28-1999, 06:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks for the responses. I am definetly consedering doing buisnees with these guys.
I have a 74 2.0 that I will probally turn into a 2.4. Once again thanks for the feed back
Old 09-30-1999, 02:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: