Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

INstalling rear trailing arms...any tips?

I've got new trailing arms, bearings, rotors, and hubs ready to go on my car as a part of my 5-lug conversion. Any gotcha's or speed bumps I should look out for doing the switch? Any special tools needed?

The bearings have already been pressed in although I do need to get the studs pressed into the hubs. Unless somebody thinks I can just pull them through the bosses with the lug nuts...

It looks fairly straight forward but I know how all sorts of things can pop up when you don't have air tools and you're on your back in the garage. Not to mention that I'm pretty much a disaster when I've got tools in my hands
Old 04-07-2003, 04:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Get the studs pressed in or pull them in yourself before you install the hubs as you won't be able to after installing the hubs. Also, tack weld the studs to the hub on the back so they can't move on you. The hub is a little thin for the studs to grip and could move (rotate).
Be careful installing the hubs (see tech article) because if you don't pull them in right you will wreck the bearing.
Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 04-07-2003, 05:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Make sure the studs are perpendicular to the wheel seating face or the wheels may not go on!
Old 04-07-2003, 08:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Good point on the welding. I didn't see how Loctite was going to do the job. Thanks guys.
Old 04-08-2003, 07:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Kevin,

If you have the capability, I'd like to see pictures of your progress.

thanks,
Rusty
Old 04-08-2003, 08:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Grassroots Motorsports Magazine has an article in this month's issue regarding 914 suspension. One of the things they liked was replacing the suspension bushing with bearings. Anyway, worth a look.
Old 04-08-2003, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Those bearings looked very interesting. Probably too expensive for my budget ($800?) and I think they mentioned having to tear them down to lube them or something...
Old 04-08-2003, 10:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Before you install the hubs, as suggested above, install the studs in the hubs. Then install the hubs on to an unmounted wheel, install the lug nuts and tighten them down, only then do you tack weld the studs. This procedure insures that the studs are exactly perpendicular to the face of the hubs.Tack welding is all you need to keep the studs straight.
Phil
Old 04-08-2003, 12:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: