Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Closed Thread
Banned

Exclamation Important V8 Conversion Information

It has recently come out that a popular V8 conversion company has been selling parts for street use that were not DOT approved. These parts should have been described as "May never be used on a public roadway" but they were not and now MANY people have been cheated.

If you bought parts from Renegade Hybrids contact the DOT and file a report. You will also be eligible for civil restitution for your damages. Failing to take care of this can have serious legal consequences for the car owner.

I made a yahoo group http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/RenegadeHybridsSUCKS/

for people caught up in this scam. You can also just post about problems you have had with their parts or service. They have a bad reputation for not standing behind faulty or illegal major parts they sell. Hope this helps some people avoid legal problems or making the same mistake as others.

R
Old 04-11-2003, 02:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #1 (permalink)

Gawdalmighty. Virtually no aftermarket parts are "for street use"; doesn't anybody ride a motorcycle? We see that all the time and it is hardly a surprise. Hello? It's like Casablanca, I am shocked, shocked to learn that this part is not DOT approved.

This is just some nonsense scam to shake down Renegade for cash and based on whatever I have heard about them, they are among the least deserving of being hit that way.
Old 04-11-2003, 04:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #2 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to dc914guy
I talked to them once, way back when I was going to make my 914 a V8 and I could not get over how much they knew, they all seemed like good people.

I am sure if you have a concern about the DOT approval for their products they would be happy to help you out. However even when I was working on my VW GTI-VR6 years ago, just about every part carried a warning about DOT approval. I think that is just something that you deal with when you're doing aftermarket work to ANY car.

Just my .02
~Eric
Old 04-11-2003, 05:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #3 (permalink)

This is the first unfavorable report I've heard about Renegade...
After speaking to at least 20 satisfied customers plus dealing directly with Renegade I'm surprised there is a problem. Where did this "recent come out" come out from? (just wondering)
bruce
(sniff)
Gotta mow the Lawn...
Old 04-11-2003, 05:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #4 (permalink)

Garage
I have a sneeking feeling someone got pulled over doing 130 on the freeway and the cops noticed it was not stock and someone feels they need to blame someone else. People need to start and think for a second and stop trying to blame others for their missfortune. I mean even I know that by taking parts off my car and replacing them with aftermarket parts (DOT STICKER OR NOT) I can get into trouble driving it on the freeway, especially in a larger city like LA.

Just another 2 post whiner taking up space.

1979 911sc
1973 914 2.0
Old 04-11-2003, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #5 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Hey two post whiner! Looks like your looking for some kind of a get rich scam. Renegade is cool. You suck. I see you chose to hide by not filling out any info other than V8911guy? Last time I checked Porsche didn't make a 911 V8. How dumb do you think we are. Don't you think we know that after market parts will probably not be legal for street use? DOH! Whats your real story!
WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #6 (permalink)

Garage
I have a call in to Scott today about my seats. I will inform him of this post. In my dealings they are always more than knowlegable and twice as friendly.
I would be willing bet we are reading a post made by someone who had a home install go bad and is looking to blame someone else for what they screwed up.
Old 04-11-2003, 07:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Scott,

He posted on the 911 board as well. He is also being bashed over there.

Important V8 Conversion Information
Old 04-11-2003, 07:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #8 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Pelican resells Renegade Products, and has no problems with any of them. Scott and the staff at Renegade are very professional, and their products are more than tough enough to withstand the harshest racing conditions. In terms of good customer support, they stand out like GHL and a few others.

This board is *not* a public forum - you do not have any rights here. This is my 'living room' and you cannot just jump in here and start spewing off at the mouth. I am closing this thread and suspending your account.

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 04-11-2003, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    #9 (permalink)
Closed Thread

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: