Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Compression Ratio

What is the highest compression recommended for a street 914.

Thanks!

Jon
Old 11-01-1999, 10:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
For the street? I wouldn't recommend pushing anything higher than 8.2-9:1 compression.

You're looking at octane and timing considerations. Remember, even fuel injected 914's had a pretty rudimentary computer system, with no knock sensor, no electronic timing retard and rev limiting capability, no reprogramability, and little flexibility. A nice, well-placed knock & ping and you're sucking valves and pushrods like Coke through a straw.

Sure, you'll hear many pundits claim that with ZEN masters rebuilding techniques, massive head-to-barrel-to-block reconstitution, stress relief, and C-clamps you can make a 914 2.0L pull 2.5-3.0L and 11:1 compression running chicken droppings. That's true of anything; the bottom line is always MONEY.
Old 11-01-1999, 12:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I put a big bore kit on my 1.7. Ported+polished, 2" exhaust, Delorto's, 10:1 compression, cam etc... It barely runs on pump 94 octane. Lots of go though. Motor lasted one autocross season and 50,000 miles.

------------------
CWP/VIR
Old 11-01-1999, 02:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well I jsut rebuilt my 2L with Euro P&C's and cc'd the head to ~9.4:1. After tweaking the FI when it runs no knock. But I run premium all the time now.

The trick is that you can run high compression AS LONG AS YOU DON'T GO TOO LEAN! Just drop in an O2 sensor and run her a towards the rich side of OK. Unless you go crazy with compression this works fairly well.

Ian
Old 11-02-1999, 09:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: