Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

instrument question

1)I have a '71 1.7 914 w/o owners manual. A RED light illuminates whenever the 914 is running. It appears in the TOPMOST LEFT portion of the large round dial on the left (the one with gas guage, oil warning, etc). What does this light mean? (handbrake? seatbelts?)

2)Also, my oil pressure gauge (electric) reads 21psi at idle, and never goes above 24psi at speed. Car does not blow smoke. What should I make of this?
Old 11-08-1999, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
by illuminate, do you mean full on bright light?.. or just kinda dim light?.. there's 2 red lights that i can think of right now.. one's for the parking break, which would be blinking. and one for the voltmeter warning thing.. i had a problem with my voltage light a while back, thought it was the alternator, but was just the voltage regulator. but when it was bad, the light lite dimly whenever the car was on, until the battery got drained.

not sure if that's what you're asking, hope this helped a bit..

Jeff
Old 11-08-1999, 04:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

The light is neither dim, nor blinking, so maybe it's the parking brake? (the light directly to the right of the this red one seems more orange/yellow)

About the oil pressure: is this dangerously low? What tests can I do to isolate the problem: bad oil pump? blocked oil gallies? bad gauge?

Thanks.
Old 11-09-1999, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The parking brake light is a large crescent shaped red indicator at the top center of the gauge. In my '75, it doesn't blink, but is a steady red when the parking brake is on. The switch controling this light is right below the parking brake handle where it hits the lateral "U" tube. It is easy to get to and replace.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-09-1999, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I wanted to add, if the switch is defective it could cause the light to be on all the time. If memory serves, the switch opens the circuit when the button is pressed by the parking brake handle (brake in the off position). If it has corroded or gunked up enough to short the switch, the light would stay on. Another possibility is that the little "leg" on your brake handle is bent or missing so it isn't pressing the button.

Old 11-09-1999, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Oil pressure 60+ psi.

------------------
CWP/VIR
Old 11-09-1999, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: