Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Stubborn First

Well, got my 1973 Side shifter 2.0L running. Im alittle upset with the performance of the shifting. I can smoothly go from N to R, and N to 1st at a dead stop, or from 1-2 and into the other gears while moving. I however am having a difficult time getting into 1st from a dead stop. Is this "normal" for the 914? It seams like something must be wrong. I've done everything except replace the bushing at the firewall. It looked good though. I also have checked the clutch adjustment. Everything feels good on that end. Thanks everyone.
Old 11-10-1999, 10:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I believe this is a fairly common problem. The syncro hub and the 1st gear slider are supose to have fairly sharp "teeth" on them to allow them to align and mesh. I think what happens is these teeth wear so the sharp edge is now rather blunt. When your stopped, the teeth may be a little miss-aligned and won't mesh until they move a little.

Two easy solutions, 1) put it in neutral and release the clutch for a second, then put in 1st, or 2) get into the habit of putting it into first just before you stop moving. Replacing the slider and the syncro hub works too, but represent fairly big $'s.
Old 11-10-1999, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
1st.. i'm glad someone made that comment on macman.

shifting.. from my understanding.. the 1st gear thing is a "feature" of our little car.. as long as you can shifts into 1st at even a VERY slow roll.. it's normal..

Jeff
Old 11-10-1999, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, I guess I need to know one more thing then. I just bought a rebuilt trans and installed it. In all your humble opinions, should I question the trans rebuilder?
Old 11-10-1999, 12:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Hummm. Tough question. When I rebuilt mine, I used the better of two sliders I had. Was it new? no. Was it serviceable? yes and a whole lot cheaper than a new one too. Once broken-in, I was able to shift into first about 90% of the time when I was stopped. Unless I paid $1500 or more for a transmission rebuild, I think I'd be happy with one that down shifted to 1st at 5mph or less and was quiet in all gears. I don't think the balkiness of 1st is a big deal and is something you get used to.

One thing I can't explain is my 70 911 also uses a 901 trans. Right now, 1st and 2nd gear syncros are nearly non-existant (this winters project), and I never have any trouble putting it into 1st at a stop. I wonder if this is also related to the different shifting geometry of the 914 exacerbated by a little wear?
Old 11-10-1999, 01:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: