Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
HELP Removing Seal btwn rear window and engine lid

I am in the middle of repainting/restoring my 914 and have come to another minor sticking point.

I want to replace the seal that runs behind the rear window, between the window and the engine lid. I told the body shop to pull it out before painting the car, but they were not able to. (No big deal, the engine lid was removed to be painted separately, and they "roped" the sides that hang over).

Now, though, I want to replace that seal (in the big parts order from our friends at Pelican), but I can't get it out. I hear that it should come out, and can be replaced, without pulling the rear window. I don't want to damage the water tight mounting of the rear window, so I don't want to get out the knife too quickly.

Any experience here to share? Any help is appreciated.
Old 11-09-1999, 03:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

I can relate. Mine was so old and dry that every point at which I tried prying at it simply broke off--the rubber that is, not the metal skeleton that grips it to the frame.
You needn't remove the glass. The seal is just stubborn when old. Good that the engine deck lid is off though, which helps you get a good angle on knocking the stripping off. I carefully positioned my big screwdriver against the underside pointing up and tapped with a mallet along the under edge from the engine compartment side, repeating all the way across, careful not to hit too hard and overshoot the mark. If you get one portion free you will probably be able to grip at that point and force it up and off the frame bit by bit. No matter how old and dry, it will come off with some patience.
--john
Old 11-09-1999, 07:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
This one goes in the "duh" category...

I and the guys at the body shop had been pulling UP on the seal. Tom at Pelican told me how the seal actually mounts. Ten seconds later, by simply pulling BACK (straight toward the back of the car), it came right off.

New seal looks good...

Pete
Old 11-14-1999, 01:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: