Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Winter Project (Frame)

Well, my car is up on blocks now. I need to address the rust on the rocker pannels/arms. I was wondering however if it wouldn't be a better idea to install a roll cage. What is involved in this process and how much would it cost? Perhaps I could do a tube frame connecting the four tires. I plan on doing a major engine upgrade at some point and would like to consider this while improving the rust spots. I'd like something that can handle a 400+hp engine with 400+ft/lb of torque. That keeps my options open for later on. Any ideas?
Old 12-03-1999, 07:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Fix the rust !!!!!

Putting in a roll cage won't stop the disease.

A roll cage runs about $500 or so. After you install that then you can add bars to tie into the suspension points to really stiffen the car.

------------------
Mike Mueller
Antioch, CA
1970 1.8
Old 12-03-1999, 10:07 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Definitley fix any rust you find. Cut out and replace any damaged areas back to 'good metal'and weld in the new stuff.

AUTOPOWER makes a "weld together" preformed 4point rollbar kit that they say will fit in a car with the interior still in it.... looks kinda tight to me. It contains the rear hoop, right and left door hoops, door guards and cross bars at the targa top and under the dash. Its kind of involved, you may want to seek the help of a good performance prep shop.

Definitley get the the rear frame chassis stiffening kit. I think its made by Weltmeister, Pelican should have that. Grind all the rear chassis undercoating/paint off to clean metal before welding it on. Then seam seal all the edges before painiting or undercoating it again to keep water from getting between the two metals.

and have fun!
Old 12-04-1999, 07:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: