Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Rebuilt distributor?

My Porsche mechanic (no not me -- the real one) has diagnosed that my 2.0's distributor bushing is badly worn causing significant changes in the dwell. He is suggesting a rebuilt distributor. Any opinions on the use of a quality rebuilt dizzy instead of a new one (read big $$$$'s)?
Old 12-10-1999, 02:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
I haven't heard of any horror stories with rebuilt distributors (which are more "reasonably" priced), as opposed to "new" distributors (which can cost a small fortune).

Also, while the mechanic is installing the refurbished twirler, you might consider having him install a points-free/breakerless module. Something in the guise of a Pertronics Ignitor, Crane, Permatune, or MSD; personal preference considered.

Nothing is more irritating than to have a set of points back off or fail, and the module totally eliminates the need for points and adjustment ever again (except for the internal points module used to trigger the FI).
Old 12-10-1999, 03:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
You might consider having your distributor "rebuilt" locally. Look in the yellow pages under automotive electrical repair for a place that does generator rebuilds, many of them stock the bearings and can press one in for you. Viola! Rebuilt distributor. (you provide new cap, rotor, condensor, and points as needed).

By the way, don't forget to put a tiny bit of grease on the distributor cam lobes. It keeps the distributor from whining as it winds up. I just use wheel bearing grease, but bosch sells a special grease just for the purpose.
Old 12-11-1999, 08:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
I like the idea of a breakerless ignition. Brian, do you have a part number for the Crane-Allison and a suggested supplier? What should I expect to pay for the unit, and is it pretty easy to install by a DIY'er?
Old 12-11-1999, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: