Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Help on 2.0 engine

I need help on this: I bought a 73 914 with a 2.0 engine and a Holley/weber 2 bbl carb with a custom built intake (looks like a vw intake) the car was running very rich (I only was able to drive it for about 50 miles, not the same day) that I was able to smell the un/burn gas in the air, I was driving it around the block and the engine frozed up, I was not revving it up at all it was idling when this happen. so the questions are first: if I dropped valve seat, do I have to work on the heads only or the engine needs a rebuild? What is first thing to check to decide if the engine is rebuildable and the last question how come you can fit 1.8 heads on a 2.0 engine and what will be the difference in performance, how can you tell the difference between a 1.8 and a 2.0 head visually? Thank You all (sorry for the long post)
Old 12-28-1999, 05:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
1.7/1.8 heads have four bolts on the intake above each of the heads, the 2.0 has three;one in the middle and one on each side.

To diagnose a dropped seat you can do compression tests or a leak down, but if the engine is "frozen" then you would be better served to pull the motor and tear it down....
Old 12-28-1999, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
O.K. if the engine made a big bang or whomp, then stopped then there is some serious engine damage. Best case is a seat dropped jamming the valve open, the piston hit the valve and stopped the motor. If the motor was cold and low RPM, then maybe you just bent a valve and the piston didn't get a hole in it. Things a little warmer, a little faster, maybe broke a valve head off and holed the piston. Hotter and even faster, bent rod.

Usally a motor dosen't seize like this from a dropped seat, the other three cylinders keep the engine going (componding the damage) but things just get loud and there is little power from the motor.

From the fact that you were running so rich I'd smell the oil and see if it smells like gas. If so, I hate to say it but you may have had a total bearing failure.

Things to do:

1. pop off the valve covers. See if there is a rocker that is WAY out of wack with the others. i.e. it is not contacting the valve, or it is open a lot more then the others. Pull the spark plugs and look down inside for loose parts. Try to rotate the motor by hand the opposite way of rotation. A blockage, like a dropped seat, will still let the motor go 330 +/- degrees around. A lot of noise (and sometimes a hole in the case) means a thrown rod. A dropped seat should give you some external clues.

2. If the motor won't budge (take the plugs out first) then it is most likely seized. Pull the sump cover plate off the bottom of the motor (both plates come off the sump plate one has a big bolt in the middle the other oil sender plate has two 8-10mm bolts holding it on.) there will be an aluminium paste and little bits of metal in the plate if the bearings spun. When putting the plate back on use VERY LITTLE TORQUE the bolt only goes on at 9.5 ft/lbs.

If any of the above is true, pull the heads and go from there. If the heads look O.K. then the bottom end is toast.

Just my $.02 local exchange rate may vary.

It's hard to help you much on this one without being there. Are you sure the motor is frozen, there are some crazy electical problems (interlock relay, and the ignition switch) in the 914 that kill the motor and the starter.

The 1.8L heads fit the 2.0L motor. You will need different intake tubes (unless you have the generic fit ones that fit all T-4 motors). With that carb I would doubt there would be much of a performance loss.
Old 12-28-1999, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks alot for the great responses, I will follow advice and keep you posted, Ho btw no, the engine did not make any noise actually was idling and only went like loosing rpms really slowly like in 5 seconds it stopped running. there is no evidence (visual) of case destruction, actually the oil is still there and is not leaking it. Thanks a lot again.
Old 12-28-1999, 07:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Hmmmmm...

In THAT case I'd start with the simple stuff first. Check for spark, then check for fuel. Is the fuel pump running?

First make sure the motor isn't seized, I doubt it if the motor acted like you just turned the key off. Maybe be more desciptive of what exactly happened and then what you tried to do to get the motor running again (i.e. turned the key, starter worked, engine didn't fire. Tried to push start, but nothing happened...)
Old 12-29-1999, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
When I floated an exhaust valve into the piston in my motor it did the same sort of thing you discribed with your motor.
Did looking in the spark plug holes help? You can also pull off the exhaust and look in the exhaust port. This is how I found my prob. , only a partial valve stem left.
Old 12-30-1999, 02:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: