Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

17 year old travesty

Last night, on a small sidestreet a 17 year old girl ruined my world. She turned left in front of me ... my 914 is now out of commission.

The left front fender - an absolutely virgin piece of metal with ZERO BONDO - is now toast.

I yelled at her - ALOT - ... she cried ... I felt a tiny bit better.

I HATE STUPID PEOPLE!!!! She was in the car with two of her friends ... probably just beebopping along listening to her tunes ... I can't imagine what would have happened if I was on my bike.

In retrospect I kind of feel bad for yelling at her so much that she cried, but a part of me wanted to do more than yell so she got off easy.

This accident stirred a deep down emotion that demands satiation through physical violence; I repressed that emotion and it make me ache physically.

PS: Is there some kind of law in California that says children under the age of 18 cannot drive after a certain time of day, and they also cannot drive with passengers under the age of 21? I think so, but I need to be sure.

Last edited by Mr9146; 10-19-2003 at 04:37 PM..
Old 10-19-2003, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Oh man... sorry to hear that.

Was she illegal? I know that illegals can do whatever they want in California.

M

http://www.914club.com/bbs2/uploads/blog-1136350347.jpg
Old 10-19-2003, 05:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

No, she was just a sad little girl who pulled a boner move in front of a Porsche fanatic. I'm so bitter ....

I built that car when I was 16 ... it's been my daily driver for 7 years. If I had wrecked it myself things would have been different, but to have my world turned upside down by a stupid little 17-year old $%^&* just burns in my guts.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Ouch! I feel for you. I had a "Old Guy" backup into my 911 Passenger fender THE DAY I PICKED IT UP.... I near about killed him...If you buy the pizza and cold ones we could have a "fender fix party" I'm In. Mg911Guy Mark...

70' 914/2.0L
75' 911SC/Cab
Old 10-19-2003, 05:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Glad she didn't say....hey, chill dude....it's just a VW.....
Old 10-19-2003, 05:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by mikez
Glad she didn't say....hey, chill dude....it's just a VW.....
That would have sent me over the edge ...

Old 10-19-2003, 06:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yes, My daughter just turned 18 and she told me that she was not allowed to drive with passengers for like the frist six months of her drivers license. If this girl is 17 she may be past that point. I have seen a bunch of accident with young girls bebopping along not paying attention. Bad accidents too. Sorry to hear about your car. At least you are ok and nobody got hurt. It is after all, just a machine. It can be repaired.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 10-19-2003, 06:22 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Re: 17 year old travesty

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr9146

PS: Is there some kind of law in California that says children under the age of 18 cannot drive after a certain time of day, and they also cannot drive with passengers under the age of 21? I think so, but I need to be sure.
I think that it only applis to those who have a driving 'permit' (learning how to drive) or have just recieved thier licence.

And YES, some very bad accidents have happened because someone wasnt paying attention!

Sorry about your car. Hope your teener is fixable. Good luck.
Old 10-19-2003, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Acox914
I feel your pain man. except i toasted my own "virgin" fender. i made myself cry.... but metal does bend back- human lives dont
Old 10-19-2003, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
There are definitely limits now on how/when teenagers can drive in California. I think after dark they can't have any passengers. It's pretty recent but my youngest brother has to deal with this stuff. He's only 16 though. You should definitely check into it though and find out the rules.
Old 10-19-2003, 11:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Sorry to hear about your car. Glad to hear everyone is 'OK'.

What she did was wrong.
Not to be a stick in the mud, but yelling at her was more of a wrong, IMHO. Often, words said in anger are words later regretted.

Last edited by Jim Smolka; 10-20-2003 at 03:38 AM..
Old 10-20-2003, 03:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

Even if she was in violation of a law, it won't make any difference. She's going to pay for the damage regardless. As far as yelling at her, if that's the way you felt at the time, then fine, don't fret. Last year about this time, a young girl with 2 friends in the car, hit my truck while it was parked and totaled it. She was very frightened and upset, you had to knida feel sorry for her at the time. Well, it turns out she gave false insurnace info to the cop and my insurance hasn't recovered the money yet.. If I had known at the time what a little lying POS she was, I would have yelled my heaad off. Don't feel bad. And sue her pants off.

Last edited by Zeke; 10-20-2003 at 06:12 AM..
Old 10-20-2003, 06:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by Zeke
And sue her pants off.
I don't know about that ... as much as I want to - saying I don't want to get paid would be a lie - I don't want to cause long-term harm to the girl or her family. I just don't think it would be right; after all, it was an accident. And the reality is the car will be reborn stronger than it was before. This'll give me a reason to swap in the 930 steering rack, my new - and straighter than before - hood, new metal across the front of the car, etc. I'm beginning to see the bright side of this matter, but I still want to punch something ... a lot ... repeatedly ... until it breaks or my hand breaks. <-- Lots of emotional suffering here, guys.

I had the car towed to my dad's shop - he and my mother are in Italy, their first time to Europe - and it'll sit there until he comes back. I got it off the tow truck and was going to drive it into the shop, but it wouldn't start. Which is kind of odd when you think about it ... there was nothing obvious that resulted from the accident which would prevent the car from starting.

Just a hypothesis: Maybe, when my poor light housing was smashed , there was a short in the system and it drained the battery. That's all I can come up with until I start stripping things down and taking a look.

Man, 2 days post accident and I'm still cursing that girl ... loudly, I might add.

Last edited by Mr9146; 10-20-2003 at 07:30 AM..
Old 10-20-2003, 07:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
It may be classified as an accident, but it definitely was a PREVENTABLE accident. How many laws did she break, with damage to property and possible bodily harm? Please allow her to acknowledge responsiblity for her failure to properly follow California traffic laws and regulations, and to make amends as specified by law. I would not consider her making restitution as constituting long term harm.

And as to yelling at her, consider that a bonus. Some street therapy, as it were.

'76 912E
Old 10-20-2003, 08:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to pbanders
It's sad but true - when you're in an accident, regardless of how "obvious" who is at fault - do NOT let your emotions cloud your actions. Take down every bit of information you can - license numbers (vehicle and drivers licence), witnesses, time, location, etc. Keep a disposable camera in your glove box and photograph every angle you can of the scene, and the vehicle damage. Make sure you photograph ALL sides of both vehicles to prevent someone from making claims against you for previous damage. Do not depend on the police to take any of this information for you.
Old 10-20-2003, 09:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Heya
Bright side bright side bright side......... Keep telling yourself that. In August, I was rear ended (not in my teener though, thank God) and the truck that I spent over a year working on was completely totalled. It seemed the woman 2 cars ahead decided to come to a very immediate stop, and turn into a driveway - causing a 3 car accident. I was hit so hard, I was pushed into the car in front of me, AFTER coming to a stop myself. She never got hit, and after she ran into the house and hid, some other woman came out, laughed, and said "S**t happens", and went back inside. Ooooh, was I pissed, I'm sure you can imagine.
Anyway, I ended up with a swanky new truck, (something someone else already spent their time and a lotta cash on) and am actually much happier.
I guess you hafta try to find some sorta good side to it - you or someone else could have been hurt / it's just a car, really / it's easy to fix / you can now put on all your new parts , etc.
It sucks, but getting all bent just makes it worse - BTDT
Good luck!
Jeff
Old 10-20-2003, 11:08 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

If someone came out of a house and said to me, "S**t happens" while looking at the carnage, I'd be in prison now.

Quote:
She actually had the nerve to tell me to stop yelling at her.
For that right there, I say again, sue her. There will be costs beyond what any insurance will cover. Trust me. I'm still incurring costs on my truck a year later resulting from the incident.

Last edited by Zeke; 10-21-2003 at 06:20 AM..
Old 10-20-2003, 01:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

Quote:
If someone came out of a house and said to me, "S**t happens" while looking at the carnage, I'd be in prison now.
Word ... I actually had to walk away from this girl to keep from doing things I would regret.

She actually had the nerve to tell me to stop yelling at her.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Short story: I have a BMW bike that I customized, painted, depended on for my school. Last semester at the end it was totaled while in a parking spot by a pizza delivery man who backed into it ever so gingerly. Luckily I didnt beat the guys @ss. I fixed it to be useable. Dont ask about the insurance pains involved.
Two months later while my bike was parked infont of my house it was hit again by a lady that faild to leave any valid info. Backed right into it. I didnt see it because I was in the back of the house. My neighbor alerted me after the lady left. I guess I am luck that I hadnt painted it yet, but my insurance compoany refuses to fully insure it again.
Be happy that you are not up on murder charges, it is truly a credit to your character.
-Mike
-74 BMW R90

Last edited by mike95125; 10-20-2003 at 07:34 PM..
Old 10-20-2003, 07:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Quote:
For that right there, I say again, sue her. There will be costs beyond what any insurance will cover. Trust me. I'm still incurring costs on my truck a year later resulting from the incident.
Please enlighten me ... what costs are you still incurring?
Old 10-21-2003, 06:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: