Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
2.0L FI to 2.2L with Webers

I do not want to get into the FI or carbs thing. I just need a little Info.

What distributor to use, 050 or 009 and why?

The best way to wire it in.

Thanks TMK.
Old 01-04-2000, 06:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

It depends on what you are going to do I think? If this is an autocross/race car then the 009 would be okay, it would be cheap, easy to find, easy to replace/repair and it would be at full advance at high RPMs where you want it. If this is a street motor, then the other distributor has a better/more advance curve, but seem to be a little harder to come by. The larger advance curve would give better throttle response over a wider range of RPMs. Of course availability and price are a big factor also. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2000, 07:23 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
The 009 is a popular, cheap, and extremely availible distributor. They seem to work well when they are new. The 050 is an older design I believe originally used in the 356s. The 009 needs about a 9 degree advance to get the total 27 degrees while the 050 can be set at 0. Some others you might think about are Mallory or MSD. The Mallory I had was adjustable up to 32 degrees total, comes in single, dual point or electronic, plus you can get parts and curve kits. I have had good luck with both bosch and domestic.
Old 01-04-2000, 09:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

A few years ago one of the VW magazines had an article on the 009, testing older used and new German units and a new Brazilian piece. They were almost identical in performance, but only had 20 - 22 degrees of mechanical advance available. In looking over the distributor specs from the 914 club web site tech specifications pages any of the stock 914 distributors have at least 26 and as much as 32 degrees of mechanical advance available. Don't know what the available advance is on the 050. I've also never seen any information on the actual advance curve for the 009 or the 050.
On the Mallory or MSD distributors, I have heard they wouldn't fit on the 914 with the stock engine tin. Can they actually be used?
Thanks,
Harvey
Old 01-04-2000, 04:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

MSD will work with stock tin. You just need to put a small dent in one side. I used a rubber hammer.
Old 01-04-2000, 04:52 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks to all. This will be for autoX and some street use. The motor will be built for mid range power. I think the 050 will be the best. It has a longer curve and will work over larger RPM range. Pelican has them for $80.00. Now all I have to do is find out how to wire it in along with a new fuel pump. Can I use one of the old dizzy hot wires? I will have to look over the wiring diagrams.

TMK.
Old 01-05-2000, 06:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

If you are just swapping distributors, the wires are the same. If you are going to use something like MSD then they have pretty good instructions and the hookup is different. We have a MSD-6 on the autocross car and one of the high vibration coils and the plugs are amazingly clean. The only thing that was not covered in their instructions is to make sure the ignition wires to/from the unit are separated or you can get some electrical interference that will make the tach go crazy. I'd also recommend one of the Autometer memory tachs since they are more sensitive than stock and and will fit in the stock hole with no cutting. Finally a MSD shift lite mounted on top of the dash might help a little too? Good luck.
Old 01-05-2000, 06:46 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks John. I am just swapping distributors from the stock 2.0L to the 050.

More as it gets done.

TMK
Old 01-05-2000, 11:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

When switching to carbs, (hey, it's your car, do what you want) choose the fuel pump carefully. High volume is good, high pressure is bad, unless you buy and install a good regulator, one that does not reduce flow capacity. A good rule of thumb says about 3 1/2 to 4 psi for carbs. any more and you MAY have float problems, any less and you may run lean at top end. If you go with a fuel pressure regulator, get a good one. Stay away from the chrome regulators with fancy knobs and engraved or stamped numbers on them. They are for the most part junk. Holley makes a very good one, with a .220 orifice size (About $25). Use a good liquid filled gage (about $30)to set the pressure. And for god's sake, never run a fuel line inside a passenger compartment, as to a dash mounted gage, for example. Good luck. There are some real good books on setting up dual carbs on vw's, check out a book by Bill Tomlinson about Del Orto's. He also wrote one about tuning Webers, and one about Turbocharging. He has or had some connection with CB Performance. Not sure. Good luck.

Last edited by turbo2.0; 01-31-2008 at 12:12 PM..
Old 01-05-2000, 01:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Gerald. I was looking at the Holley pump and reg. The motor is being built and set-up by Jerry Woods inc. It will have 40mm weber IDF EX carbs. Weber says 3.5 psi max.

TMK
Old 01-05-2000, 02:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to Baloo914
I just tried to order a 050 before Christmas and when the shipment came in (almost 2 weeks late) there was a note saying that the distributor would not be available until the first of the year. Does anyone know of a source for this part??
Old 01-06-2000, 12:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Garage
Baloo914: Where did you order the 050 from?

TMK.
Old 01-06-2000, 06:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

My suggestion on the 050 in obviously always go to Pelican first, and if necessary second call Performance Express in Phoenix. I think I saw a 050 advertised for about $55. the # is (602) 216-2800. Barrett Enterprises in Azuza, Ca. advertises the 050 for $60. I have never dealt with them so I don't have any recommendation. their # is (626) 967-5171 or http://members.aol.com/barrettvw Good luck.

Last edited by turbo2.0; 01-31-2008 at 12:11 PM..
Old 01-06-2000, 07:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
I ordered mine from Pelican parts for $80.00. It was in stock and shipped to me in three days. I have never any problems with anything from Pelican Parts.

TMK
Old 01-06-2000, 08:59 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: