Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Motor testing

I read a article, somewhere, about a setup that would allow one start a 914 motor before installing it in the car.
Does anyone have any suggestions on away to start a motor before installing. I have a couple of extra motors that I would like to try to get running. As we all know, it is a lot easier working on them when they are out of the car!!! Any help, suggestions, drawings, sources etc will be greatly appreciated. Jim
Old 01-24-2000, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

i think that if you bolted it to a transaxle, or bell housing, and had it securely mounted to where it wouldn't go anywhere, had the wires hooked up, fuel going to it at the right pressure, it would work.
are they carb or Fuel Injected? do you have an extra transaxle and starter? the reason for the transaxle is somewhere to mount the starter.
Old 01-24-2000, 09:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
I've done compression checks on motors sitting on the ground with a trans hooked up, but running the motor? You would need something for the motor mount bar to attack too, it would have to be off the ground enough to clear the exhaust AND give the hot cooling air a place to go (BTW DO NOT run a motor without an exhaust, it will melt the head exhaust port), a tach, a CHT gauge, and an oil pressure gauge. Hmmm, I'm thinking a test stand/engine dolly out of 2" square tube steel with wheels mounted on the bottom. In the form of a big "V" the two legs that are further apart go to the motor and the two that are closer together go to the trans.

Besides starting it, a good test is to check compression, leakdown, and crank endplay. The pressure tests tell you how the rings and valves seal and the endplay can show what condition the main bearings are in. I don't know if a hot running test would tell much more?
Old 01-25-2000, 03:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I have an engine stand in my garage with the starter piece of the bellhousing mounted on it. It belongs to a friend of mine. Works nice,
Old 01-25-2000, 04:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I started 914 engines on a table a bunch of times you just need a battery, fuel going to the carbs (if carbs of course) + wire to coil and thats it! do not forget to ground the engine

Steve
Old 01-25-2000, 07:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I have put together a functional but not particularly elegant test stand out of angle iron, 4X4's, a lawn mover gas tank, and odds and ends. One additional item I would consider critical...a fire extinguisher (don't ask me why).
Old 01-26-2000, 04:57 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I have also run 914 engines on the ground bolted to a trans. The big pain is bolting up the exhaust. When you rev er up past about 2500 she gets kind of jumpy, kind of fun though.
Old 01-26-2000, 06:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Ive tested lots of 914 engines on the ground. You need to hook up a tranny so a starter will crank it. Get some 4X4 wood blocks and put them under the feet of the oil sump. Use 2X4s to support the tranny. Make sure the carb or carbs have fuel in their bowls, hook up power to the coil and set up an ignition switch to the starter and your ready to go. You will need to jump from another battery unless you have a spare or a 40amp+ battery charger/jumper.
Old 01-26-2000, 09:11 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: