Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

1.7 Engine ?

Hey guys,
I need some help or suggestions. I have a 1.7 thats been sitting for about 8 months, my problem is that I can't turn the engine over with my hand. It gets stuck half way. What is preventing it from making a complete revolution? I've taken out the plugs & disconnected the eng from the tranny. By the way it's out of the car. Is it suppose to turn freely & easily?

Old 05-22-1998, 11:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hmm, it could be that one of the pistons is rusted and stuck in the internals of the engine. It's not uncommon for the crank to not turn completely on an engine that has been sitting around for awhile. Sounds like some things need to be replaced anyhow...

-Wayne
Old 05-22-1998, 12:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Last week I bought a 1.7L and 5 extra heads (J,S,G, Bus, 914, 1.7L and 1.8L mix match of heads) plus a bucket-o-parts. The motor did the same thing. It only had two bolts holding the one head on and white corosion in the intake ports. When I took off the head I expected to see a dropped valve guide, which I belive would cause the same symtom, but what happened was that rust formed so thick on the cylinder walls (and on the crank for that matter) that the piston could not past TDC. First take out the spark plugs, they can make turnning a motor over very hard. If that does't work loosen the rocker adjustment screws, you should probably replace them anyway. If it still won't spin momma gonna buy you a diamond ring. No seriously the heads will have to come off, either the rings are seized in rust or the seat dropped on a vavle. One more trick to try first is one I used on the other 1.7L I have running in my car now, "PB Catalyst". It is a compression booster, carbon remover, "top end" lubricant that is sprayed through a spark plug hole. It should break up any corrosion and allow the motor to fire, but you are taking a chance that the rust didn't damage the rings so bad that they might break. After you have the motor spinning freely (if you don't have to take off the heads) do a compression test BEFORE you try firing up the motor. If you want to know, I can tell you exactly what I did to the 1.7L I have running in my car now. It sat for 8+ years and now has 500-600 (the odometer is a little off) on it with very very little oil consumption and decent power.
Old 05-22-1998, 12:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: