Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

New Tijuana Paint Job

Got the race car stripped (5 coats) and repaint at Los Ponchos a couple of weeks ago. They filled in the front fender seams, a hole in the front hood, took out stone dings and refit the driver's side door. After several days the car was wet sanded and polished. Not bad for $1800 total I'd say. I used their paint and the color is a one off bluse similar to my Mini Cooper.
Old 02-05-2005, 12:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Here's a couple more
Old 02-05-2005, 12:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Looks great John!
Old 02-05-2005, 12:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Nice color.
Old 02-05-2005, 01:09 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Did that price include painting inside the trunks too? Is there any overspray? Looks nice from the photos.
Old 02-06-2005, 07:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Send that body man to Arkansas. Ron Mott need a good fresh paint job for cheap and so does Hugh.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

They did the inside of the front and rear deck lids in satin black. They masked the engine, trunks and interior pretty well. They also did the door jams, inside metal of the doors, etc in body color. I had to do a bit of cleaning but that is understandable after having it stripped to bare metal. I will wash the engine to get the dust off next weekend to get ready to go to Phoenix and the HSR West race on the 18th.
Old 02-06-2005, 08:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

So what does the big red light monitor?
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 02-07-2005, 03:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
Porsche Crest Oil Pressure Warning Light

It's really easy to piggy back a trailer marker light onto the spades for the oil pressure idiot light in the guage.

That stupid, little, green light is impossible to see in daylight. If you are concentrating on your driving line or the guy who's worrying your blind spot, it's really easy to miss it coming on. And why the hell is it green? Green means "go" and if that puppy comes on, you should be all about "stop!"

A lot of the 911 guys put one in their clock hole. That really gets your attention when it comes on!

John; Car looks nice! That first rock chip is going to be a heartbreaker!
Old 02-07-2005, 08:21 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Hi Herb, haven't seen you in a while. I got the big red light at Pep Boys for about $2.00 or so and as Herb said piggy backed it onto the terminals for the regular light. They sell lugs that are made for that which are handy.
Old 02-07-2005, 09:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Paint job

Car Looks Great how did you get it across the border trailer or driven? any problems with border crossings??Thanks
Old 02-07-2005, 12:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Thanks for the compliments. I drove it over, mainly to get a few miles on the rebuilt trany. I used the trailer to get it back since I wanted to get the fenders lined to minimize stone chips from inside before I drove it very much. I line the fenders with old wetsuit material to prevent "paint zits" from the Goodyears.
Old 02-07-2005, 01:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Spectacular! I love that color!

Can you give me driving directions from Rochester, New York to Los Panchos?
Old 02-08-2005, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by john rogers
Thanks for the compliments. I drove it over, mainly to get a few miles on the rebuilt trany. I used the trailer to get it back since I wanted to get the fenders lined to minimize stone chips from inside before I drove it very much. I line the fenders with old wetsuit material to prevent "paint zits" from the Goodyears.
John,

When ready for paint, I'd like to use Los Pancho's as well. How was the money handled? Dollars? Did you pay a deposite prior to start of work. Pay upon completion? When trailering back, did you have to show any doc's like title/registration, reciepts for work from los Pancho's, or? Any advice for the first timer? Language is not a problem; wife is Mexican.

Thanks,

Andy
Old 02-10-2005, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: