Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

How do you remove the rear trunk springs?

I did a search and could not find anything real clear on how to remove the rear truck springs. I saw a lot of threads on converting to shocks, how dangerous the spring are, and how to replace the rollers.

I'm not replacing the rollers or converting to shocks. I just want the springs gone.

Thanks Chris.

1972 Porsche 914
1973 VW Thing
http://www.cassidy-online.com
Old 02-08-2005, 08:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
sawzall
You can break a finger or worse if one of them suckers gets away on you. I use a PVC pole to hold trunk lid up. No more bonk in the head when the wind bows to hard and the weak springs can't hold the lid up.

Going to remove the front ones soon.
Old 02-09-2005, 07:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Chris,

Have you read thru the procedure on PP's tech articles? I had this tool made when I need to replace my rollers and with the tool, the procedure is easy. This tool could also be used to release the tension on the springs if you want to remove them.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/914_cooley/914_cooley_trunk_spring.htm
Old 02-09-2005, 08:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Whoever designed those springs of death with about 1 million pounds of pressure should be shot. I carefully removed them and have never looked back. The article here is pretty helpful.
Old 02-09-2005, 09:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Well, I have done several of them, I wrap a small blanket or rug around them and then release the bolts on both ends, the blanket/rug with absorb the recoil of the springs possibly saving your fingers or worse.

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 02-09-2005, 05:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Garage
BZZZZ BZZZZ BZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ ZZZZZZZ

TWANG
poke

OW MY EYE!!!!
Old 02-09-2005, 10:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Yeah, its all fun and games till someone loses an eye!!

75 Slantnose V8
03 S-10 Extended cab stepside in Yellow
72 914 Parts car
Old 02-10-2005, 07:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

We just went over this on the 914 club site.

Blankets work good, cutting wheel on an angle grinder, cut and wait for POP.
Old 02-10-2005, 07:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

alright, while i'm here ...

the guys are right, cut off wheel is the way to go.

cut them near the center of the car, they both run through a metal hoop there which will prevent them from flinging around too much and take your eye out. put some towels around them, that will also protect your paint.

Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 02-10-2005, 08:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

rods

Okay Since I have done 12 or more CAMP 914 rear trunk shox kits. I feel that i can speak from some experience.
First remove the engine lid. Battery should be disconneted and to be really safe remove it completely. The tension rods can touch teh battery terminals and cause a short. Then stuff blankets or I use movers blankets in the area where the rods will release towards. Then get a long screwdriver or pry bar and a stick or bar to hold the raer trunk lid in the up position.
The rollers on the car that the tension rods sit on are going to come flying out when you pry the tension rods off of the roller studs.
So I would get something to contain them in the engine bay area.
After proping the rear trunk lid up, pry off the tension rod on one side or the other. You will experience a LOUD bang when it releases. Check the area and see if you need to adjust anything on the oppisite side before prying that one loose.
After prying loose both sides of the tension rod, you next remove the four ten MM nuts that hold the brackets in place.
Then remove the rods themselves and install the CAMP 914 trear trunk shox kit as per instructions.
Craig
Old 02-10-2005, 10:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: