Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Emergency in Costa Mesa!!, Please Help!!!!

If there is anyone in the area that drives a 2.0 with F.I. I need your help. I am having Europro put in a new 2.0 in my daily driver but have run into lots of problems with the F.I. getting it running correctly. Right now where it stands is i need to borrow someones 2.0 MPS for a couple seconds to hook to my car and see if that is the problem or not. Almost everyting else on the car is new, injectors, temp sensor, throttle switch, the wiring harrness has been gone through and tested all the hoses and fuel lines are brand new and the engine was just rebuilt and put in the car. It is pretty much down to the Brain and the MPS. the brain i was driving with on my 73 1.7 and pelican lists the 73 1.7 and 2.0 as the same part so i dont think the problem is there. The car accelerates really strong, the problem is between 2200 and 2700 RPM when cruising(not under acceleration) the car will go lean in spurts. If there is anyone in the area that can let me use there MPS to test please call me ASAP at 714-317-5080, this car is my daily driver it was supposed to be done a while ago and i cant be any longer without it

Old 08-22-2000, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

everything else on your car is new, why don't you get a new MPS? Its the most important part of your FI system, and well worth the $170 or so it will cost you. They do wear out and get unreliable over time.
Old 08-23-2000, 07:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I would have already bought a new one if they cost less then 350+ for the 2.0 MPS. If I do finaly wind up having to buy a new one i want to be sure that is the problem before spending that money on it, this project has already gone WAY over what was originaly planned. Like i said before the only 2 things not new on the car are the MPS and the brain and the brain seemed to be running OK on the 1.7 motor about 3 weeks ago and deffinatly ran better the the brain i had for the 2.0(it wasnt sending a pulse to 2 of the injectors) Replacement part for the 73 brain is listed the same for the 1.7 and 2.0 but after all the problems i have had with this thing i dont want to rule anything out before i spend another $400. any help would be greatly appreicated.
thanks
James
Old 08-23-2000, 08:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

The 2.0 MPS is less than $200, at places like GPR. Its money well spent, given all the other things you have done, I would get the new MPS just for piece of mind.
Its unlikely that the brain is your problem. The MPS is 100x more likely to fail.
Old 08-23-2000, 09:26 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I was not worried so much about the Brain failing as weither it would work correctly with the setup..being as it was off a 73 1.7. Are the 2.0 MPS's from GPR new or rebuilt, there is a company out here that i can get rebuilt ones for about $165 but i have heard bad things about every rebuilt one that my mechanac has used from there. Has anyone had experiance with the GPR part. Also what is the number for GPR?

thanks

james
Old 08-23-2000, 09:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I called GPR and they want $265 for a new 2.0 MPS. I still need to determine if that is the problem though before i spend more money on this engine.

Thanks

James
Old 08-23-2000, 11:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
where are you at?.. i work in tustin, and my 2.0 is basically sitting by the sidewalk right now while i'm working on the turbo headers.. i can probably go home tonight and pull that out to lend to you if you can come to tustin and pick up... let me know if that'd help...

Jeff

e-mail: oredith@flashcom.net
phone: 909.624.5117 (no office phone yet, new job, leave message)

tustin = near 55 & edinger
Old 08-23-2000, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

wow, the price for the MPS has really gone up in the last year or two. A buddy of mine bought a brand new (not rebuilt) one from GPR in the last year or two, and as I recall he paid around $170.
good luck!

Old 08-23-2000, 02:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: