Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

getting car painted... question on brand of paint

Hi Again Everyone

914 goes to body shop tommorrow for rust repair and paint.

I am having the car done in the original silver paint, which is the color of the car now. The guy at the body shop loves a cetain brand of paint (though I dont know what brand at the moment). Its expensive but he swears by it and will guarantee the paint against all sorts of defects.

Is it possible to still get the original brand and formula of paint that was originally applied to the car when new? And if so, is that a direction I should be heading or should I let the body guy use what he is familiar with. He is going to go by the paint code on the car. Does that insure the paint will come ourt looking correct?

I'm getting a little neeeeerrrrrvvvvooououuussss! Thanks all.

Curt
Old 02-17-2005, 07:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

You don't want the original kind of paint. Modern paints are superior to what was used in the 70s. Go with a good brand of polyurethane. For silver you can't go wrong with DuPont products like Chromabase and Chromaclear but there are others as good or better (and more expensive). If your shop has something they recommend go with it, assuming they're a reputable shop. The polyurethanes also let you have the option to color sand and buff as soon as 12 hours after application.

Edit: forgot to add, the paint code L96D will match the original.

Last edited by 914GT; 02-17-2005 at 07:59 PM..
Old 02-17-2005, 07:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Banned

I don't know anything about painting cars - having said that, I heard that BASF makes good paint.
Old 02-17-2005, 09:08 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I've had no experience with BASF basecoat/clearcoat but I have used their R-M Diamont brand of primers, and it's a very good product.
Old 02-18-2005, 05:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Cant go wrong with PPG
Old 02-18-2005, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I would definitely trust the shop, assuming you're not using Earl Scheib or Maaco. If so, then thats a completely different thread. If the guys at the shop are comfortable with some brand, don't make them shoot something they're not used to. Right now, they are comfortable with the mixing ratios, flash times, and the spray pattern of their product. If you introduce something else, they will be experimenting with your paint job since they are in uncharted territory. Like above make sure it is a good polyurethane and you should be OK. I assume, you are already trusting them to prep and shoot the car, you may as well trust them with the product selection.
1955 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet
Old 02-18-2005, 09:10 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Thanks for all the info.
I should not be second guessing this fellow as he has many years of experiance doing these restorations.

BTW, he uses PPG paint products.

Curt
Old 02-18-2005, 11:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

PPG Deltron kicks butt.....the lowerline stuff (Delstar) is also pretty good too..acrylic enamel or acrylic urethane.

Mike
Old 02-18-2005, 12:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

PPG paint sucks. I hate the fact that their base coats are activated. That means any base that you have left over will have to be thrown away. Stuff doesn't spray worth a crap either.

If you want the best paint in the world either shoot Dupont Chroma-base and Clear or step up to House of Kolor stuff. I hear Sikkens is pretty nice as well. My personal experience with Both Dupont and HOK has been excellent. Great products and easy to work with.
Old 02-18-2005, 01:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

I painted my car with DuPont, both colors. We did a base coat , clear coat. Not sure about the primer we used. Buffed it out with some 3M compound. I was able to get original colors from DuPont for my "fakecicle".

view it here since I don't have pics on this computer.
http://fromsteve2.blogspot.com

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 02-18-2005, 02:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

The only experience I have had with Dupont was with Centari......and it SUCKED. Is that their low line stuff?? It had No luster or shine what so ever.
Old 02-18-2005, 04:24 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

DuPont Centari is acrylic enamel, and acrylic enamel sucks regardless of who makes it. The economy line of DuPont polyurethane is Nason. I've used it on a couple cars that didn't justify the added cost and it went on fine. The Nason base didn't seem to cover as well and the clear was like it was thinned out more, but it still turned out real good. I wouldn't use it on a nice car though.
Old 02-18-2005, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

If you know your paint you shouldn't have a problem. Silvers and Gold metalic are the hardest colors to spray to keep from getting dark spots in the paint job. You should always use a good quality paint with these colors, a paint that doesn't break down in the cup and shake well between coats
Old 02-18-2005, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Since we seem to have some experienced folks here , can any of you guys reccomend a web resource for those of us with little or no automotive painting experience?
66 Red &White Ghia 2liter 914 engine ..restoring it from a californicated custom soon
90 Maroon and Silver Conversion Van ..the shag mobile..family car/camper
94 saturn wagon ..the wifes pos
Old 02-19-2005, 04:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

schosh, your welcome to come by the shop or my house. I've got insurance cars at the shop and porsches at the house. It's not the paint job as much as it is the body work that makes it good or great. Anyone can paint but not everyone can get a body smooth.
Old 02-19-2005, 05:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by schosh
Since we seem to have some experienced folks here , can any of you guys reccomend a web resource for those of us with little or no automotive painting experience?
Yes, the Autobodystore Shop Talk discussion board. Great place to hang out.
Old 02-19-2005, 06:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

http://www.hotrodders.com/

The knowledge base has a ton of great info and compiled articles from all over the web.
1955 Schwinn Deluxe Hornet
Old 02-19-2005, 06:12 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

I didn't buy the cheapest, economy grade DuPont paint to paint my car if that is what your asking mikey. I did buy the DuPont paint because it was easiest to find the original colors.

1974 914/4 2.0
2006 Hummer H3
2005 Dakota
Old 02-21-2005, 05:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Nope...thats not what I am asking......just commenting about Centari...
Old 02-21-2005, 09:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

place for color charts; usually have to look at VW for the same year for a 914

www.autocolorlibrary.com
Old 02-22-2005, 08:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: