Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
This newspaper story is from Twentynine Palms which this is the biggest story to hit that podunk town in 50 years. One of the guys in this has a PO Box there so maybe he has some connections and helped fab up this story.

The 914/6 was originally stolen from the Porsche storage yard where they kept the cars slated to be destroyed by a Porsche employee. Car was shipped to the USA although Porsche never intented to have this type of prototype on the public road. If you have looked at it up close you can see the awlful welds and handmade parts of this car. It is a prototype or study car to see what worked and what doesn't plus it was used in the early publicity of the 914/6's.

Quite a history really, but where has it been for 36 years?
Possibly driving around California until it was parked for some reason.

I do think the newspaper story is mostly total fantasy.

Geoff

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-02-2005, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #21 (permalink)

I didn't realize #4 was the car in all the publicity photos of 35 years ago. However I did see it up close at the famous showing in June, which led to the Excellence article, which led to the current mess. Trust me, there is no resemblance. Picture a very rusty, near stripped tub with no drive train. A car that would be sawsall bait if it were a 4 cyl car, and probably even if it was a factory six.
Now, if it were correctly restored at great cost, and if Porsche didn't come forward to reclaim it, $150,000 could be possible. But only in the market place inhabited by Seinfeld and a few others.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #22 (permalink)

So what happened

Is Brad still in the slammer? Did they ever specifiy the charges?

I'll say this he isn't a thief, and I'm sure it will be figured out.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #23 (permalink)

Garage
With this car's chequered past, it would almost seem that Porsche needs to come in and settle it by taking it's toy and going home.
I really REALLY feel badly for Brad. We as a 914 comunity own that guy alot...
Old 03-02-2005, 08:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #24 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dinomium
With this car's chequered past, it would almost seem that Porsche needs to come in and settle it by taking it's toy and going home.
I really REALLY feel badly for Brad. We as a 914 comunity own that guy alot...
With all do respect to everyone here, (IMHO) Porsche has no claim to this car... As someone else has pointed out, PNA did not even exist when that car was stateside... It has been stated that the car was stolen from a lot at Porsche - not to be crase, but has anyone seen a police report? No matter how the car got here, it apparently was federalized, and legally titled. I am currently interested in how the authorities are able to incarcerate Brad, (if that is the case)if they have not charged him... It was my understanding, based on what had been posted on the boards, that Brad had a legal title to the car, and was the rightful owner.
I wish Brad the best, and if there is any way I could help him resolve this matter, I would -

Thom Ewing
Old 03-02-2005, 09:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #25 (permalink)

Garage
I did say "almost"
I have no direct knowlege of what has transpired. And I agree that if there was something I could do to help, I certainly would.
Old 03-02-2005, 09:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #26 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by dinomium
I did say "almost"
I have no direct knowlege of what has transpired. And I agree that if there was something I could do to help, I certainly would.
Dinomium,
I'm sorry if it appeared that I was picking on you -That was not my intention... I also have no direct knowlege of what has transpired as well - However, you are not the only person that has made such a similar comment -

I have also seen a few other such comments on the old 914 digest...

Regards,
Thom
Old 03-02-2005, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #27 (permalink)

Garage
no harm no foul...
Old 03-02-2005, 10:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #28 (permalink)

people were asked elsewhere not to speculate about this matter. many of you are regulars there. so why come here, and do what you were requested not to do? i'll delete this after you guys zero in on it.

k
Old 03-02-2005, 02:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #29 (permalink)

Garage
this is a facinating saga. why not comment or speculate on it? It is by far the most provacative 914 alive today... Mystery, unaswered questions, bad welds, hand made parts, one off stuff, stolen or lost in germany to end up in the states, a prominent 914 hobbiest arrested for car theft...It does not get any better than this... well maybe that actor dude and the 550...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 03-02-2005, 02:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #30 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by norustscott
this is a facinating saga. why not comment or speculate on it? It is by far the most provacative 914 alive today... Mystery, unaswered questions, bad welds, hand made parts, one off stuff, stolen or lost in germany to end up in the states, a prominent 914 hobbiest arrested for car theft...It does not get any better than this... well maybe that actor dude and the 550...

Because the person involved is a personal friend to many of us, so "speculating" and talking about it is borderline insulting. This is not a tabloid, get those in line at Safeway. Im really surprised that Paul posted the link here. Its basically what the parties involved did not want to happen...
Old 03-02-2005, 03:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #31 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
Quote:
Originally posted by Kevin Powers
people were asked elsewhere not to speculate about this matter. many of you are regulars there. so why come here, and do what you were requested not to do? i'll delete this after you guys zero in on it.

k
Kevin,

I don't believe that anyone to this point has speculated on this at all. There have been some general comments regarding a news story and mostly well wishes for Brad. No one has drawn sides or pointed fingers.

Also, there was never a "request" made on the other site. There was an edict delivered that it could not be discussed there. That's fine, it's their site. They put down the rule and I abided by it.

I came here and posted the article knowing that news stories involving 914s could be freely discussed.

I don't think their rules apply here.
Old 03-02-2005, 03:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #32 (permalink)

i see your point paul.

k
Old 03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #33 (permalink)

Quote:
The $150K figure is simply myth, designed to spark interest among newspaper readers and the cops. No one is tracking down a 36 year old tub worth $2K, especially if it is not clear who has the title.
i agree ... i told the cops it would TAKE at least $150k to restore it right ...

see for yourself, that's what's left of the floorpan, and yes, you're not supposed to see the main wiring harness, fuel-lines and shift-rod from underneath the car!

and the rest of the car doesn't look any better ...
Andy
>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original)
>> 1975/73, 914 Limo (Custom)

Last edited by SirAndy; 03-02-2005 at 04:35 PM..
Old 03-02-2005, 04:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #34 (permalink)

Quote:
so why come here
because brad was/is heavyly involved in the 914club website and right now we have a pending investigation.
there will be no rumor spreading on the clubsite.
i do, however, have a running thread there were i update known *facts* about this. not more, not less ...

Andy
>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original)
>> 1975/73, 914 Limo (Custom)
Old 03-02-2005, 04:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #35 (permalink)

Garage
Not speculating on guilt or point fingers ... I indeed hope Brad emerges with reputation intact abd the car. After looking at the pictures OMG. only serves to really ask why and how this happend.

best of luck to Brad.

when all is said and done, it would be interesting to fill in the blanks...

1982 911 SC
1962 sunroof bug
1991 WE Vanagon CARAT WRX conversion
Old 03-02-2005, 04:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #36 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Bleyseng
Looks like the 70 car I sawzalled up cuz it sat in the grass where it rusted away from the underside. The guy had parked it in 1983 cuz it "stopped running". A deadshorted CHT is why is stopped.
But back to the thread, atleast here on PP we can talk somewhat freely which is good. I don't know much about what is going on but I was posting what I have heard about this stupid piece of junk car since it was found. Its an oddity, thats all. Who is going to spend 150K to rebuilt it? No one, for sure not Porsche as they have the two 914/8 cars already.
Thom, okay PNA didnt exist but didn't Porsche exist? I am sure the USA has had some sort of International agreement about stolen goods coming to the USA. If it was stolen off their lot then there must be a report but heck that would be hard to locate! If Porsche claims ownership then its theirs and you can't steal stolen property and be held libel for it!

www.914Club.com
My Gallery Page
Old 03-02-2005, 05:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #37 (permalink)

Thanks for posting the actual condition Photo's That is what I wanted to see. Rough to say the least. I was more interested in the actual car photo's Than the legal matters around it.
This is History in the making good or bad.
I have a Title to a 57 Speedster, wonder were it is .
Thanks Again for the Photo's
Jeff

Last edited by 914/6; 03-02-2005 at 06:00 PM..
Old 03-02-2005, 05:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #38 (permalink)

I came here for information on, as Andy asked that it not be done on the club site.

I'd say thats a sound policy. Brad has a connection to that site, and its always a small chance a rampant discussion their could come back to haunt him at a later date.

I think Brad a great guy. I think he is getting a bum deal, and screwwed over to boot. I think the charges are the worse kind of crap.

But, because I do consider him to a great guy, thats why I wanted to know if he atleast go out on bail, if he needs a hand, is his wife okay, and I hope he is cheered up know I'm out here in Utah hoping the best for the poor bastard, and he needs to keep his chin up.

I'd also like to know if we are going to need to start a legal defence fund, if he had a Lawyer, and its clear he isn't working, I know his wife went through a job change a while back, and is he needs anything on that front, so the man can atleast have a beer when he get out of the slammer.

And, I am hoping he atleast, has a someone who can say, well, on the Pelican site, some of your friends started a thread, explaining what was happening, your friends were concerned about ya, and you have people who are concerned about your well being, and don't worry, cause we will be here in the end, no matter how it went.

So, yeah, thats why I posted here.
Old 03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #39 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
Andy, Looks like the cops can't figure out the difference between the COST TO REPAIR and The VALUE BASED ON CONDITION!

I can't comment on the legal issues. You know, like the guy that claims he owns the car. The issue of the car possibly being stolen from Porsche 30 some years ago, or who knows if and how involved this guy was in the possible theft and moving a stolen car out of the country. I don't know if any of that is fact. We shall see how this plays out.

But I do know: the state that car is in is a crying shame. The amount of time it would take to properly document and repair the damage that the neglect caused would be a full time Job for 2 full years. I speak from experience. I am a former collision and restoration shop owner.

If anyone should be arrested here it's the guy that left it in the field. Like it or not he'll be famous and forever be know for causing of the loss of a 914.

If I were him I'd hang my head is shame.

WCC 04 done by the kids
Who says Aliens only abduct people.
Old 03-02-2005, 07:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #40 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: