Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Theoretical: an 8 in a 914

I was reading the thread on the 928 V-8. Being a fan of the usefully outrageous :-) I figured I'd create a thread on the possiblities and costs that may be involved for a DYI'er. If anyone feels this is frivlous I'll remove my post.

Thanks
Steve M
Old 09-14-1999, 06:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Heard about it, even saw one once. A portion of the rear trunk needs to be sectioned out for it to fit. The length of the motor is longer than the small block V8s that are currently installed by the Renegade and Simpson kits.

I called Kennedy Engineering (KEP), they make most of the adapter flywheels and such for Renegade, BTW....they started using words like...prototype...one only machine runs... my mind equated that to major bucks.

You would, at the very least, have to hand fabricate the flywheel and the motor mounts. The water cooling would be very easy to do as it is already available in kit form.

If you have a source for machining or are interested in going in half for the set up costs at KEP, let me know. I would be interested...

[This message has been edited by mikez (edited 09-14-1999).]
Old 09-14-1999, 07:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

What would half cost?
Old 09-14-1999, 07:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

I called Kennedy after having some problems with my local machine shop... i installed a chrysler 2.2 turbo in my 914. they said they'd match the engine to the transmission for $500. that would include the adapter for engine to transaxle, and crank to flywheel. they said that it would and up using a larger clutch and the original starter.
my question is, how much is a good 928 8? i can have a 2.2 turbo built up to 300 hp, 18 lbs of boost, 52 lbs per hour injectors, race head, full flaoting pistons... etc for right around $2.5k. would it be less expensive to do a 928 8, and would i get enouch horsepower from it to make up for the more weight than the turbo four?
Old 09-14-1999, 08:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
A reliable junk yard 928 motor is cheaper than a 911 motor. I actually went as far as finding two of them. What stopped me was the cost of the flyweel,engine mounts and the need to section out the rear trunk.

I was interested in the 928 motor as it has more hp than the sixes, and I would still be allowed to run in PCA events.
Old 09-14-1999, 08:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

I like the 928 8 because of 2 reasons. One its a V-8, second its Porsche and c its uncommon and would make for an interesting project. But would probably difficult, I've never seen a 928 drivetrain out of the car. Some of the things that I was considering in regards to size and fit is what is the total length of the engine and transaxle only. Not including the driveshaft. Is a special adapter neseccary to connect the transaxle directly to the engine?.
Sorry if I sound naive.

Steve M
Old 09-14-1999, 10:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Spoke with "Brett" at KEP. He said they have a 928 block sitting there and they have done one ten years ago, but it was mated to a 915 trans not a 901. No problem to do one, just time and a minimum order....

He said that if we got like five orders together, the price for the adapter plate and flywheel would come down drastically and they could do a production run....His first call was we are too busy and that they normally don't slow down until Christmas. That has not happened in two years. IF the orders are there, 30-45 days and the parts can be made.

Pricing for the adapter plate and flywheel about $500ish. The installation that was done was to a kit car, but he said the double overhead cam Porsche V8 is the biggest V8 he has ever seen....so cutting the trunk is a must.

Another good thing is that the engine turns the right way, not like the Corvair....

Anybody interested???? Would Tom and Wayne want to organize this....? I'll go for one....
Old 09-14-1999, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Forgive my ignorance regarding Porsche tranny's. The 915's are used in the 928?.
As far as the trunk goes I remember seening a photo of a 928 in a 914 floating around on the web. The picture was a closeup shot so I couldnt tell whether the car was lengthened or not. But the trunk and the engine bay didnt seem like they had been cut or shortend or lengthend. 500ish, hmm, I'm interested but maybe a month or 2 into the future.
Old 09-14-1999, 12:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Well kinda on the subject. I was looking to trade in my truck (don't haul plywood much anymore, just my friends stuff when they need to move something big, but I digress) for a 928. The price jumps around 86-87, I think the motor goes from a 2 valve to the 4 vavle per cylinder. Also the brakes are greatly improved. Seems like most of the 928's I've seen are automatics too. Here's my point, what about buying a rolled 928 (even runing ones are much cheaper than 911's) and not just using the motor but also the big red brakes? Is there a way to mount them on 914 rear ends? There's a Porsche junk yard in Tampa called Kempton Brothers, they seem to have everything.
Old 09-14-1999, 02:48 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

So can the 8 be mounted directly to a manual transaxle from a 928 instead of the power being transfered via torque tube? I think the 911 also has the red calipers. Maybe not from the same year but I'm quite sure I've seen them. Buying a rolled 928 sounds like a good idea, especially if a decent used one goes for 15,000. The radiator and alot of other things that may be useful are already there. I assure anyone who may be concerned that if I ever get the chance that my intentions of execution are honarable. (Sounds like I'm running for office). Also if an adapter is neseccary and if we can get enough people interested in an undertaking such as this the means to manufacture one already exists. Thanks
Old 09-14-1999, 07:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
To clarify my earlier posting regarding the 928 motor and the 915 transmission. The total package went into a mid engine kit car...
Old 09-15-1999, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
10 yrs already??

does the 928 have an inertia switch? in a rollover vehicles with inertia switches kill the power to the fuel pump to prevent any inconvineces such as fire and non lubrication of an upside down engine.
Old 09-15-1999, 03:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I had the opportunity to check out a 928 motor out of the car. I took measurements of the overall lenth and width. I can't find them. But as a coincidence (two weeks ago) I've been attempting to see if the motor is still around. The motor is owned by a friend of a friend. I'll let you know if I get my hands on it. BTW I've seen a lot of motors in my days but,few can hold a candle to the 928S or S4 for asthetics(sp?) Those motors are hot looking. Wide 60 deg V shape with a teranchala(sp?)on top! I've been interested in the swap idea for a long time. My prior motor sport interest was big block chev drag racing. So a 1.7 or a 2.0 just don't cut it. This is not a swap for the purist. You will have to cut into the trunk and the front lower cross member. There was a thread somewhere about a cable shifter that would save a lot of linkage work. Think about it, your tail lights will look stock as you blow the doors off of that tail heavy 930!
Old 09-15-1999, 06:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

List of mandatory's: roll cage, if for anything for the chassis to handle the extra torque. Big vented brakes from a 911 (with the big purty red calipers) to haul the heavier car to a stop (what are we talking about here 2500 lbs total?). What would a typical rebuild cost for a 928 engine? and is it feasable for a DYI'er?
Old 09-17-1999, 09:41 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Heck, I just wanna do it....
Old 09-17-1999, 11:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Garage
Engine rebuild parts seem in line. Complete gasket set around 350.00 to 450.00, bearings; rods, 130.00 max. mains 225.00, rings;275.00 water pump 130.00,all prices are high retail taken from an old Performance Products catolog. Prices vary alot depending on model and year. 914 has 215mm clutch- 928 250mm The best deal would be the wrecked car or well worn donor. If anyone knows where one is and wants to swap for a 83 944,(needs some work)let me know.
Old 09-17-1999, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Hey all of you interested in doing this, I just found an engine on ebay and I thought i would let you know. The ad said "1980 928 Porsche engine, with fuel injection,60,000 original miles" it was up to $2700 I think. If I personally had the money I would keep my 914 stock (because it is almost all original and almost perfect), but find another 914 and put an engine out of at least an 85 928, I think that 85 is the year that got the 32 valves. The best would be an engine out of a 928GTS as these made a 4000+ pound 928 do 0-60 in 5.1 seconds. Lets see, a 914 with the same engine would weigh roughly 2/3 of that with added reinforcments and other goodies. All that should make it faster than a 993 turbo. Sounds good to me!
Old 09-17-1999, 09:14 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The engines are all over the place....the problem is getting enough people together to get the flywheel and adapter plate made....
Old 09-18-1999, 05:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

We need 5 people to bring down the price of manufacturing of the nessecary adapters. 10 people would be great, the price of the adapters would be 500 bucks each with 5 people. There are 2 people that are interested that I know if me and Mike Z, anyone else......?

Steve M
Old 09-18-1999, 07:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Garage
I'm project heavy! two BMW 2002's, 1983 944,two 1957 VW ovals,71 Jag xj6,new hobby shop 1/2 finished. (Oh ya can't forget my 914)But I want in! I'm assuming this will take a little time to organize, so maybe I'll be a little lighter by then. Anybody looking for a bargin project or two? Sounds like wholesale time!
Old 09-18-1999, 09:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: