Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Engine Bar bolt size??

Im following Wayne's EZ Engine Drop method but ran into a problem. The picture of the car in the instructions looks like it has a standard bolt end on the engine bar (Figure 21) Mine has hex bolts. I had an 8mm L key, too small. So I run to Sears and get the next size - 10 mm - and its too big. ARGH! Before I go nuts (they didnt have 9mm in either L or in socket drive but I might not have been looking in the right place) does anyone have any advice? (Like its 9.5 mm or something?) I didnt find any referance to it in the Haynes manual.
Old 07-12-1998, 10:52 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
APorsche914

im not sure about the size, but i do know onbe thing....dont use the haynes manual!!!, they only tell you just enough to get you into trouble.
Old 07-13-1998, 12:43 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Hey!!! I resemble that remark... I mean I resent that remark. Seriously the Haynes manual is a good suplement to the Lash book, I've allways found comedy in the illistations Haynes has, i.e. they show you a picture of the fuel pump from about 6" away and title it "location of the fuel pump" of course they don't say if it is in the front back or under the car. For the price and size of the book (factory manuals are usally multi-volumes for $100's) it is pretty good, but no doubt about it, it is a reference book not a teaching manual. Thats what makes forums like this so great!

Old 07-13-1998, 04:18 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
To respond to the question... I guess (I'm to lazy to go back to the fig. you mention) you're taling about the outboard bolts, and you have a 70-72 914. They changed in 73+. When I took apart my 72 parts car I seem to remember the bolts you talk about, I think the allen head side is facing down, then there is a 2" washer with a notch cut out of it, then a rubber motor mount (solid mounts on 73+). I either used vise grips on the outside of the head of the bolt (although I remember some bolt, somewhere, being recessed in which case vise grips wouldn't work), or a SAE allen wrench since I was dismantling the car at a friends house (he collects old AMC cars) who had a limited metric tool selection. If you want to remove the two inner bolts (the ones directly under the motor) I "seem to remember" them being the imfamous 12 point type, like what is used on the CV joints. Another thing, your car is at least 22 years old and someone may have put SAE bolts in place of the metric ones.
Old 07-13-1998, 08:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

And the answer is - TaDa! 8mm.
I decided to break down and get the complete hex set (long type with ball ends) from Sears and picked up a BIG set of vice grips in case it didnt work. Tried the 9mm (the only set I've seen with a 9mm) and it was too big. Odd... Tried the 8 and BINGO! Fit perfect. Pulled out my old 8 and its more like a 7 with a stamped 8 on it. Ugh. Cheap tools just make you nutso...

And the moral of the story is - get good tools.
Old 07-16-1998, 06:19 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 07-16-1998, 06:19 AM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: