Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

For all you pros please help with this 914

I was driving my beautiful 914 the other day when i coudlnt get it into 1st gear. i drove all day starting off in second and noticed all the other gears work perfect except for 1st. when i try to put it in 1st i can get it there but have to hold it in and still pops out. i got under the car and looked at the side shift setup and found it is swinging the entire direction with nothing in its path. with the car off i tried to put it in gear but still have to hold it when turning a tireand if i let go it pops out...could it be the selector ent..any comments and parts i might need with a reasonable price would greatly help me thanks...also i have two 914's for sale a red 73 and a orange 75 both without engines or trannys or tops...thanks you can also reach me at 909 890 6366...

79- fiat 200
71 porsche 914
80 porsche 924
Old 09-20-2005, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

The first thing I'd do is check and if necessary replace the shift rod bushings and rear ball cup bushing. These are all plastic parts and can cause shifting problems when they wear out. Then adjust the shifter. I think there's a tech article on this board on how to do that.
Old 09-20-2005, 12:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

nope those are all ok i even took out the shift bar and my hand moved the selector coming out of the transmission by hand still no 1st i can catch it but not grab??????????????
Old 09-20-2005, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

If it will not pop into first gear by hand with the shift rod disconnected, then it does indeed look like you have a problem internal to the transaxle. I won't be of much help with that.
Old 09-20-2005, 04:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 924hell
nope those are all ok i even took out the shift bar and my hand moved the selector coming out of the transmission by hand still no 1st i can catch it but not grab??????????????
looks like it's rebuilding time!

Andy

>> 1970, 914-6, #374 (Original) For sale!
Old 09-20-2005, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

hey i like all your responses but help....lol...what is it most likely the syncro for first or the selector for it??????????? hey all appreciate your help ion this because this is my daily driver... it is a 1.8 with dual webers, electronic ignition, high output coil, and i have a new webcam cam and oversized calves on a set of heads sitting to the side ready to put in but i need it to go first
Old 09-20-2005, 10:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Wink

Quote:
oversized calves on a set of heads
Can the suspension handle that kind of load?
Old 09-21-2005, 02:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by 924hell
hey i like all your responses but help....lol...what is it most likely the syncro for first or the selector for it??????????? hey all appreciate your help ion this because this is my daily driver... it is a 1.8 with dual webers, electronic ignition, high output coil, and i have a new webcam cam and oversized calves on a set of heads sitting to the side ready to put in but i need it to go first
If it's syncro's it will grind going in and out of gear. Not staying in gear would mean to me that it is the gear itself. I'd look for a doner trans to replace it for now and start saving $$ for a rebuild. (2-3K I've heard)
Old 09-21-2005, 02:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

suspension handle the load yah no worries..on the tranny i found out you can pull out the back end easily to service the reverse and 1st so isnt it easy...
Old 09-21-2005, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Garage
Here's an article that might help. If it is only 1st gear you are having trouble with then there's no need to crack the entire thing. If I had to hazard a guess, it may be worn out dogteeth or maybe the set bolt for the slider has somehow backed off. Pulling the back cover off is pretty damn easy and without more info and a look-see you're going to be shooting in the dark. I find it unlikely that it would be the linkages internal to the tranny. There's nothing really breakable in there.

1st Gear Rebuild Tech Article

Last edited by HMeeder; 09-21-2005 at 09:41 AM..
Old 09-21-2005, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

how much do dogteeth cost aouts and how hard are they to replace..i kind of got lost in the article..
Old 09-21-2005, 10:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: