Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to addwestern
Open Element Air Filter

With the 914, has anyopne had any success in any type of conversion from the venerable oil bath air filter? 1.7 oil bath filters are getting hard to find.

If so, how has your performance impact been?

www.914-parts.com/73.jpg

Last car 73 914 1.7(I was stupid to sell it)

http://www.ecklerfamily.com/galleri...sche/index.html
Old 05-03-2006, 08:40 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Open element filter

I switched to an open element filter on my race porsche with 1.8 fuel injection. It is substantially easier to work on the motor as the element is much smaller. There is more noise with the open element filter but the car is loud with the header and a race muffler plus I can't hear it that much with my helmet on anyway.
I haven't noticed any perfomance increase if there is any. I do have it routed so that it is always drawing fresh, colder air and I do believe that is a benefit.
The other nice part of this is it's a $14.00 filter from Pep Boys that I replace after every other race so not very expensive.
I did have to fabricate a mount to the air intake and one for the engine but that was actually fairly easy. Took about two hours total once I figured out what I wanted to do and $5.00 in pieces from the plumbing department at my local hardware store.
All in all I figure it was a good idea and I am very happy not to have to deal with the big box every time I work on the engine which is often on a race engine.
If I get a digital camera in the near future I will try and post a pic for you.
Randy
"Car 54 Here I Am" G prod SCCA Porsche 914
Old 05-03-2006, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
On my rally last weekend there was a fellow from SD that had a 1.7 with a K&N on it, he claimed with that and the header he gained a bit of improvement. Try do a search on it here and at the club
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because that’s the true tax ... If you’re not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, you’re paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 05-05-2006, 06:55 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: