Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Engine/Trans Removal help

Okay, I have decided to scavenge all of the parts I can from one of my parts cars and then get rid of it. It is really rusty. So much so that the right long. is completely gone and the right floor is about to rust through. I think the right door is the only thing keeping the car from collapsing.

I would like to get the engine, trans., and rear sway bar out from under it before I let it go but I'm not about to get under it. I thought about going ahead and cutting the left side (which is also sagging a lot) and splitting the car in half. Then I could just flip it up on the firewall and drop the engine out from that position.

Does any one have any other ideas?

I am expecting plenty of rusty bolts and I don't have a torch so I'll have to wrench it all loose.

Thanks!
Old 05-14-2006, 02:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Reach under the back end and undo the trans bolts, speedo, shifter linkage and clutch cable. Then go at it with the sawzall. This will leave you the front engine bolts, wiring and fuel lines when you get down to it.

Buy some PB Blaster and spray all the bolts a day or two before you start wrenching.
Old 05-14-2006, 03:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
that sounds like a pita.
and you'ld be sacrificing your good harness, fuel lines etc., assuming they're good of course.

can't you get enough jackstands to make it safe to crawl under? pull the rear suspension and mount furniture grade pine 1x4's as a temporary subframe, spanning the car from front wheel well to rear bumper, then across under firewall and at the rear.
put your jackstands at those crossmembers and jack it up high.

spray down those bolts like gwn7 says! you'll want break as few things as possible, and maybe get a bottle of mapp and a tip for those stubborn ones...
Old 05-15-2006, 01:51 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the tips. I had planned to hang on to it for a while longer until I could get ti to my house and strip it properly. But it is now so far gone and my storage "allotment" has run out so I have to do something with it right away. I will definitely have to brace the underside to do anything underneath it.

I'll let you know how it goes....assuming I still have something to type with when I'm done.
Old 05-15-2006, 05:02 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
gl
Old 05-15-2006, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: