Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Front trunk batt.

Has anyone seen or heard of anyone relocating the 914 battery to the front trunk? It seems logical to me given the rain/rust diffulcities of 914s (including mine, a 74 2.0). I wouldn't think it would hurt weight dist. too much. Any and all thoughts appriecated.
Old 09-14-1998, 06:20 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Might help weight distribution? But the starter cable would be a tad too long it would seem. Most of the racers in the San Diego area put the batt in the trunk if it gets moved at all. This gets it away from the rain and such.
Old 09-14-1998, 10:13 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Too long? Why? I had a 72 911, many moons ago, that had two batteries in the trunk on either side in front of the front wheels! I would imagine the cable would have to be sized properly.
Old 09-15-1998, 12:17 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Bunky is right about the 911 batt in front, of course our 1987 turbo seems to have no room anywhere else and it has the biggest batt I have seen in a car. Along with bigger wires, it works okay. On a 914 the batt cable could be run down the left side and protected well from rubbing and the elements. I still opt for having the shortest cable possible, but the rear trunk relocation leaves little room for the top if you want to store it inside. I finally used a cover I made of fiberglass to cover the batt in the engine compt and protect it and the tray it sits on. I found a cardboard box just large enough to cover all of it, covered it with saran wrap, then used a large piece of glass cloth to cover the box and the resin makes it pretty hard. I threw the box, saran wrap, etc away and painted it bright red and hold it down with a pair of wire ties. I fits loose enough to allow venting, etc of the batt.
Old 09-15-1998, 11:04 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Put it in the rear! I did it, it's a simple relocation, depending on how AR you are with the drilling of holes. I didn't even have to buy anything. Also the top fits w/o a problem.
Old 09-15-1998, 12:32 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
CEO, Pelican Parts Inc.

The 914-6 conversion I have for sale right now has the battery located in the rear trunk. It's a deep-cycle marine battery (clues to a previous hot-start problem?) and the previous owner (PO) had cut a large hole in the trunk and mounted one of those plastic battery holder cases there. Not the best solution, but I'd thought I'd share that.

If you do put it in the front trunk, make sure you use a really thick cable that is protected heavily against being cut.

Thanks,

Wayne
Old 09-15-1998, 12:46 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Now Available for Ordering:   101 Projects For Your BMW 3 Series 1982-2000  [more info]
Old 09-15-1998, 12:46 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: