Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Installing one of them there center consoles..

I purchased a used center console for my 76er and was wondering about two things. (Since Wayne hasn't posting his tech article yet) The wiring hookups for the gauges. Although I think I've got them figured out. And the heater lever looks like it's not offset enough for the console to fit in with the bottom insert with that the "Defrost" light thingy is on. (Youknowhutimean, Vern?) Where there two different heater levers?
Old 09-17-1998, 01:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

We were lucky enough to have a console in the 1974 we bought, but the screws that clamped it to the floor were not in, probably because the interior had been done over recently. There were two holes in the floor that the brackets had to line up with and you would have to locate and drill them. The flat and vertical sections went in afterwards, but the shift lever hole and heater lever holes had no extra clearance. If I was going to put in a new (to the car) console, I would make some cardboard patterns and test fit everything before I drilled. For the wiring, I found on ours the temp guage was in parallel with the dash guage and replaced it with a BIG red oil pressure warning light. The clock connects to the same block under the passenger seat that feeds the interior light, etc. The volt guage was hooked the same as the light? I looked at two others and all were slightly different??
Old 09-17-1998, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I did this mod several years ago. Yes, there is a different heater control lever. Initially, I just bent the shorter lever to fit (2 90 deg. turns) until I found the proper lever. The electrical connection were straight foward in my 75. Under the carpet, the center tunnel was pre-wired for the hookup.
Old 09-18-1998, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Hi there Dave again. Yup, the tech article is in progress - I've been so busy working on the 911 catalog and moving into our warehouse, that I haven't had time to finish it. In fact, I have about 10-15 tech articles pending that I need to knock out.

There are two separate handles, and we have a bunch of them here at the shop. Give Tom a call at 1-888-280-7799, and he can help you out.

Thanks, and I'll try to knock out that tech article ASAP...

-Wayne
Old 09-18-1998, 09:48 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I know you've been busy Wayne. So have I. I haven't even gotten to drive my 914 this summer. I need to drop the motor this winter and freshen it up anyway. I think I've got a rod bearing starting to knock. I think I accidentally over revved it once. But it is also 22 year old too.. What kind of prices for a rebuild kit for a 76 2.0 do you have. It doesn't smoke so the pistons will probably be used again. How much can I increase the CC's and still keep the original FI? Just wondering.

Keep up the good work.
Thanks,

Dave

Old 09-21-1998, 06:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: