Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

No Fast Idle

My problem is that upon turning on the engine of my 1974 2.0 liter, when cold, there is no idle above 550 rpm. Upon first turning the key, there is ignition, but the engines dies after a second or two. It only begins running on the third try and, then, the idle is very slow. The temperature here in Brazil is moderate. The whole injection system has been checked: new injectors, new seals, new runner boots (with clamps), correct ignition (Crane electronic) advance setting, etc. Even the Auxiliary Air Valve has been opened as per Kjell D-jet article, and even readjusted for more initial air . It functions correctly. There is plenty of suction on the hose from the air filter to the AA Valve. But if I pull out the hose leading to the manifold, the engine revs up. The only thing that is strange is that if I turn in the idle adjusting screw all the way in, the engine doesn't die, it just slows down very little.
The first few miles in the morning are a pain, believe me, as the car falters, bucks and sometimes fires back.
Any clues?

Louis Chilson
Old 10-07-1998, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Sounds like the aux air valve or the lines maybe are blocked. Try taking it and the lines off, letting it cool, then blowing air into the aircleaner end and see what comes out the other end? Should be pretty good flow. This happened to our 914 and finally found the advance weights in the distrib were jammed and we were getting little to no advance even though timming had been set correctly.
Old 10-08-1998, 09:33 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: