Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry RES Systmes??!?! Help

OK a few months ago i orderd and paid for a wiring harness set from a place called RES systems. Still havent recieved it and now i am trying to get ahold of them to find out what is going on, and to notify them that i have moved before they ship it, but i have had no luck in getting ahold of them in any way. There web site res-systems.com has disapeared, i have had no response to e-mail and no one answers at the phone number they gave me to contact them with. I last talked to Randy there a month ago. He said they were having manufacturing delays and it would be another week. one month later and still no word. Any information or help on this would be greatly appreicated. I would be really unhappy to just through away the 500 bucks i paid them.

Thanks
James Morris

Old 05-14-2001, 11:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Go to the 914 e-mail section at www.rennlist.com. Search the archives on R.E.S. systems. There's a guy who had similiar trouble

------------------
Old 05-14-2001, 12:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you used a charge card you can ask for your $$ to be credited back. After you have your $$ back, change your credit card # by reporting it stolen. This way the merchant cannot continue to add $$ onto your card.
Old 05-14-2001, 12:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ask the last guy on the list who bought one.

slavik914@rennlist.com (Steve Milo)
Old 05-14-2001, 01:07 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

James -

Glad you surfaced here...

I found the headlight switch I had for you, but lost your address.

Send me your address at dave8000@yahoo.com and I will get the switch off to you in the mail.

Hope that all is well with you in Utah and with your 2.0 machine.

- Dave
Old 05-14-2001, 02:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Thanks for the help. From what i have been reading on renlist this sort of thing looks like the norm. I am just worried as there web site has been down and i am hoping that they havent just disapeared off the face of the earth.

James
Old 05-14-2001, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to ws91420 Send a message via Yahoo to ws91420
I am having the same problem. Just received email from Randy today and he will be out next 1-3 days family emergency. Earlier said would make my wait worth it ie: some money back. I have seen their website go down while they are making changes on it. plus they said they were having problems with email recently.
Old 05-14-2001, 07:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Thumbs down

I could tell you stories about res systems. I currently have a dispute with them in to better business bureau. Promises made and not kept, bad alternator harness that cost me hundreds in labor...Their products are nice when right. Randy is.... well you'll see how he is.
Old 05-16-2001, 12:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Angry

Just to keep everyone updated on RES wonderfull customer service, I STILL have not heard ANYTHING from Randy reguarding my order. I have sent him several e-mails over the lst few months, and every time i have called the phone number he gave me (the one he used to answer on) nobody ever picks it up now. I am about ready to contact auhtorities so people stop getting sucked in by his website and then ripped off. Any sugestions on where the best place to start would be. Also if anyone knows Randy or how i might be able to get my harness, or my money back from him, it would be a big help.
Old 07-21-2001, 02:06 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Last I heard when I was trying to help out someone else....he was in San Jose CA. Prolly want to try the San Jose PD.

Hope you used a credit card....
Old 07-21-2001, 03:15 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Hi James,

I can assure you RES is not in San Jose, 'Randy' told me so himself, as I was interested in meeting him and seeing his harnesses as well. He may visit San Jose, occasionally, but is based Oregon.

I rebuild FI harnesses as well. Contact me offline if you want a harness, I'm sure I can do something for you.

But we can't get your money back, thats up to you.

Jeff Bowlsby
bowlsby@aol.com
Old 07-21-2001, 07:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Here's an interesting story on RES. Back about three years ago, when Pelican was a mere six months old, Randy emailed all of the PCA presidents about his website, and how he was going to place hundreds of tech articles and photos on there and it would soon become the largest Porsche site out there.

Back then we were kind of small (I still consider us small), and I was actually slightly worried about this guy. Three years later, I haven't seen his website change at all!

-Wayne
Old 07-22-2001, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

I didnt do anything particularly special to finally get my harness (about 5 months wait time).

All I did was worry alot and call and constantly leave messages.

I really cant offer and other advise, Randy is difficult to deal with in general. He's easy to talk to but his promises are all but empty.

I finally did get my harness after about 5 months. Its construction is pretty solid but has numerous flaws.
Dont know what flaws others found but my altenator harness was difficult to install, I did the work myself. The FI harness caused a little bit of grief. The one of the leads to the ECU had separated. I was able to resolve that.
Now however I have a problem with my backup lights. The bullet type connectors that go into the switch broke off because the harness was too short there.
I contacted Randy regarding this, he replied about 1 month later. I was away when he finally did so. I replied about 1 week after that and have yet to hear from him. Its been 1 month so far.

When in California I had a chance to look at Geoff Bowlsby's harness (The guy who told you to contact me).
The casing on RES's harness is very much thicker. But I think its quite easily overkill for our purposes. Geoff's harness costs less and appears to be well made. Had Geoff been making his replacement harness earlier last year I would have went for it. RES's harness is a little more than the price of Geoff's, but go ahead and try and get an RES harness.

---------------------------------------------
Ask the last guy on the list who bought one.

slavik914@rennlist.com (Steve Milo)
Old 07-23-2001, 10:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

The main pupose of the harness casing is to protect the wires from abrasion, keep fluids and most importantly heat away from the wiring. For the curious, from the RES website about their FI harness casing material:

"The material that the wire harness is encased and protected in is a polyolefin based, chemical resistant, self-extinguishing, flame retardant material. * It is rated for continuous operation from -60C (-76F) up to 140C (284F), and capable of withstanding elevated temperature levels of 300C (572F).* It also meets the performance requirements of MIL-I-23053/5 Class 1, and is UL and C-UL Recognized for flame retardance"

The harness casing I use is as simialar to the OEM material as is available commercially and look at its specs:

"...Polyolefin, meets UL requirments for flame retardance, rated for continuous operation at 600V, rated for temperatures of -55C to + 274F, meets MIL DTL 23053/5, Class 1 or 2 and UL 39100. It is 25-35 mils thick depending on the diameter of the casing"

I'm not sure why RES has such a thick casing, the performance should be quite similar.
Old 07-23-2001, 09:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I bought one of Jeffs FI Harnesses they are Super. I would recommend them to anyune looking to replace their FI harness. Steve
Old 07-24-2001, 07:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)
Vinyl pimp

Garage
Thumbs up

Hey Wayne....Beats chasing done that idjut from RES...
Old 07-25-2001, 02:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)

The inventory of FI harnesses is being built at this very moment so no one will have to wait 8 weeks, 8 months or 8 whatever....and no excuses.

I've built a few for friends but they'll be widely available soon. We have needed these for too long. We'll talk off line Wayne.

Old 07-26-2001, 12:04 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: