Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Post Koni Front Struts

I have a pair of Koni Front Struts and they feel squishy, like most of oil has leaked out of them. The shaft can be pushed all the way in without rebounding. Can I add oil to these myself? Any help would be appreciated.
Old 10-13-2001, 06:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to paulhagedorn
Don't know if you can add oil to them yourself, but I would think that would be kinda bad unless you can find the exact weight that was in the shocks.

Paul
Old 10-13-2001, 06:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
depends on the type of koni you have.. if the koni shock *isn't* externally adjustable (does it have a tab that you can turn on top of the shock?).. if not, it's a 'normal' koni shock, and won't come back up when it's depressed.. all it's doing is dampening..

Jeff
Old 10-13-2001, 08:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Paul,

Im pretty sure they are the adjustable kind, although I am not sure how to adjust them. Here is a picture that might help:

Thanks
Old 10-13-2001, 09:24 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Koni rebuild their shocks if you send yours to them. Check out their website for details.

I don't have the link from this computer but I think it is www.koni-na.com

Search for it if needed.
Old 10-13-2001, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Don't panic, they're just dampers, they don't rebound. If they're like my 911 units, you push them all the way in, then turn them to adjust - clockwise for greater damping. You can feel the adjustment mechanism engage when you do this and you should get 5 turns (IIRC) between stops. Try the damping (extend then compress them for the full length of their travel) at full CCW, then try again after having collapsed, and given the 5 turns (or whatever) CW. You WILL know if they're working.
I looked into rebuild, and they said it wasn't worth it for these relatively inexpensive units.

------------------
-- Dave
Pics of my '73 project here: http://members.tripod.com/mike4g/dds73_b4pics.htm
Old 10-13-2001, 07:46 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via ICQ to oredith Send a message via Yahoo to oredith
the posted picture are definitely *not* the 'externally' adjustable konis.. if they were, there'd be little tabs sticking out the top of the shock (the bottom of the picture, in this case)
Old 10-14-2001, 01:18 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: