Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post Considering engine swap: Opinions on 1.8l?

Well, things are looking a bit expensive for the repair of my 1971 1.7l daily driver engine. The brass gear on the crankshaft that drives the distributor is shot & must be replaced. Iím disinclined to do this job myself, as thereís no telling what Iíll find once Iíve got the case split. (My diagnostic/troubleshooting abilities are near nil.) Two mechanics have bid $1500 or more to do the job, provided no additional damage has been done to the engine and no new bearings, etc. are needed.

Iím considering an engine swap. There is a good-condition 1.8l available for a fraction of the repair cost ($350), and the mechanic will R&R the motor for around $280.

Does this sound like a viable alternative? What are your opinions of the 1.8l engine? I understand it produced the least horsepower of the stock engines. Is it noticeable as compared to the 1.7l? And can a bit more power be coaxed from it via ignition, exhaust, etc? I'm in Boise, ID; I don't think emission standards are as high here as in CA.

Any feedback/suggestions would be very appreciated!

TIA,

Mark

------------------
1971 1.7l 914
Old 10-30-2001, 07:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
I have the 1.8 in my '74, yes on paper you do net out a few HP less but I would guess you will probably never miss them. If your 1.7 is tired and the 1.8 is fresher then your net HP may be the same. One good part is that the 1.8 heads do have larger valves than the 1.7's. Is the project not an option for you to remove and install the other engine? Really is not all that difficult but I do not know your tool and/or working situation. The FI should just bolt right across and if you know someone that does some smog checks you could richen the ECU dial to compensate for the increase in displacement if it is even needed.

------------------
Thanks,

Brian
'74 1.8L is alive!

[This message has been edited by tracer (edited 10-30-2001).]
Old 10-30-2001, 08:19 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
The 1.8 has a completely different fuel injection system....so if you are familiar with the D Jet the L jet on the 1.8 is going to be a challenge.

I like the D Jet better. If yours is in good condition, consider the swap of the FI....
Old 10-30-2001, 12:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I have a fresh 1.8 If you need one E-mail me. Steve
Old 10-31-2001, 05:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
You know a few years ago I rebuilt a Type 1 motor. Only thing I had done was the line bore (not normally req. type4) deck the case (highly recomended) and balance all rotating assy (very highly recommended). Bought new bearings and gasket/seals. I think I was into it for like 500. then I added 94 piston/cylinders and fly cut heads. Building a motor is not that tough with a good book. With the money you save you can put back into longevity or HP! Fuel injection is what will empty your wallet.
Old 10-31-2001, 06:50 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: