Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Post CA mystery case

I have a 1.8L CA case that came in a rusty 72 that has been in my track car for a couple of years. Anybody know what a CA case is? I recently replaced it with a 2.0L and when I was looking for oil leaks I noticed it had a threaded plug in the front behind the motor mount and a two bolt flange in the front near the oil cover plate.Both go into the oil sump.On the engines I have seen these are blanks and dont go through into the oil sump.The CA is stamped very clear and I dont think it is a typo.
Thanks,
Doug
Old 11-01-2001, 11:34 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Hmmm, 70-73 had 1.7L W EA and EB cases (Tom Wilson's book BTW), EC is a 914 1.8L or a Type-4 1.7L. Judging from the bolt on plate I'd say the motor came from a bus or Type-4 sedan. Tom has the CB and CD as 1.7L in late buses 72-73. Look at the oil pump to see if is the duel auto stick type, then the motor is a 73 automatic block.

CA isn't listed but neighter is my 75's GC 2.0L so there are ommisions in the book.

Like I said it looks like yours was a rear mounted engine from a bus, my GE block has a similar hole into the sup where the filler tube and dip-stick went.

The 914 1.7L and other VW type-4's are damn near identical, it is the 2.0L where the differences lie.
Old 11-01-2001, 07:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

According to this website:

http://www.type2.com/library/identifi/boxeng2.htm

A CA case is a 1971-72 1.7L 66hp case.
Old 11-02-2001, 08:42 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Ok,It makes since now.Oh well it has been a great engine,faster than a stock 2.0L.
Thanks, I have been wondering for years.
Doug
Old 11-03-2001, 07:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: