Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Question Is it possible?

Is its possible to make a saratoga top for a 914?? Any ideas?
Old 11-11-2001, 11:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Author of "101 Projects"

Sure, but these weren't well made to begin with. You just want a sunroof in the 914? I'd say cut out the center section of the roof and put in a clear lexan glass.

I have a saratoga, and one of these sunroof-type roofs. However, since I don't ever drive with the roof on, I really don't have a preference...

-Wayne
101 Projects for Your BMW 3-Series 101 Projects for Your Porsche 911 How to Rebuild & Modify Porsche 911 Engines 101 Projects for Your Porsche Boxster & Cayman 101 Projects for Your Porsche 996 / 997 SPEED READ: Porsche 911 (October 2018)

Check out our new site: Dempsey Motorsports
Old 11-11-2001, 12:16 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

http://www.smoothon.com/products.htm

You just need an oven larger than the top.

-Rich
Old 11-11-2001, 01:17 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Yeah, I guess you could make your own top, but it would be extremely difficult. I would take Wayne's advice and either put in a lexan material (I believe a form of polystyrene) or just install a sunroof in the top. I wouldn't encourage either though. I'm not sure the top would support a sunroof. Not from a strength point, but from a thickness point. The top really isn't that thick. I would think most sunroofs would have an edge thickness far exceeding the thickness of the 914 roof. So you'd either have part of your sunroof sticking up higher than the top, or a whole lot of it would be sticking into the interior of the car. I don't know about you, but I think the headroom is a little on the low side to begin with. I couldn't see losing any of that precious space.

I'm not a big fan on sunroofs anyhow. I found that I rarely used them in the cars I owned that had them. Now taking the roof off...that's another matter.
Old 11-11-2001, 02:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Ever notice when something does not sell well when new, it becomes sought after when the company goes out of business?

Well the Saratoga Top, was an ill fitting, leaky piece of junk when it first came out and age has not helped.....now it is an expensive, ill fitting, leaky piece of junk.

Find one and sell it to a sucker on ebay....

Just my $.02.
Old 11-11-2001, 03:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

while we're on the topic of making tops did anyone see the carbon fiber top on that superchrged V8 conversion at the October Pomona swapmeet?
just wondering I thought it was pretty cool, and was wondering if anyone knew where he had it made.
Old 11-11-2001, 06:23 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
Make a jig that outlines the size of the opening you want to match the Lexan. Use a router with a straight cut bit to make the hole. Then either use a ball bearing guided "rabbeting " bit, or make a smaller jig and cut a ledge the thickness of the Lexan. Use silicon and rivets or some fancy countersunk hardware.

Don't know if, like others said, weather or not the top is thick enough to do this though.
Old 11-11-2001, 08:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

what's a saratoga top? first time i've heard of one
Old 11-12-2001, 10:03 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

Quote:
Originally posted by sweater914
what's a saratoga top? first time i've heard of one
It's a smoked lexan (clear) aftermarket top that was sold for 914's as well as other cars, I think, in the past. Like this:
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-12-2001, 11:00 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

that's slick, now why would the top leak so bad?, looks like a standard 914 top made of lexan
Old 11-12-2001, 11:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)
Text me.828-230-0788

Garage
Bad production, warped molds, crappy aftermarket seals....take yer pic.
Old 11-12-2001, 12:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: