Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Send a message via AIM to rbrack42
Wiring harness

Hey, I'm pretty new to the 914 world. I've owned mine since last september, and haven't really gotten a chance to finish the restoration process. First and foremost though is the electrical system. Does anybody know where I can buy a pre-made wiring harness to replace all the wiring in the car, or will I have to sit down and replace each wire by hand? Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-07-2002, 07:49 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

What is wrong with the harness that you need to replace it???

Most times, it is not the wiring that goes bad.

The folks here @ Pelican might be able to find a harness for you.
Old 03-08-2002, 02:44 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you do need to replace the harness, Pelican does indeed have one. Hold onto your hat though. It'll run you in the neighborhood of $1700. Good luck.
Old 03-08-2002, 05:31 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

$1700?!?!?!? Jeez, doesn't anyone make one for a few hundred? At that price, I'll just replace the wiring myself. There are so many electrical problems with my car, the headlights, foglights, horn, heater blower, starter, etc. because of old wiring. I just want to replace it all.
Old 03-08-2002, 09:35 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I had a whole rash of similar problems with mine when I got. Most of them were in the connectors, not the wiring itself. I spent a couple of evenings with the dremel tool and scotchbrite pads and corrected 90% of it. The other 10% is still bugging me, and moving.

Karl P.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:13 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I can supply you with a good used harness. Steve
Old 03-08-2002, 10:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

How much? And how used?
Old 03-08-2002, 10:22 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via AIM to Paul_Heery Send a message via Yahoo to Paul_Heery
I would say it's probably been used somewhere between 26 and 32 years.
Old 03-08-2002, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
Main Harness $250 in good condition what yearis your car? Steve
Old 03-08-2002, 05:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

Mine is a '75 2.0 with the appearance package.
Old 03-09-2002, 08:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Check the Rennlist BBS too, search on "harness". I seem to remember a guy advertising custom build harnesses there, don't remember prices, but the ones Pelican sells are probably original Porsche parts, and Porsche likes their service parts to be a *profit* center...
Old 03-09-2002, 08:25 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Where is the rennlist BBS?
Old 03-09-2002, 08:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

www.rennlist.org/

Steve Milo bought one. It was not a hassle free transaction.
Old 03-09-2002, 09:04 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Garage
Yn'Z has a 914/6 harness but no 914/4

http://www.ynzyesterdaysparts.com/

1490 for the chassis and 560 for the engine harness

Kelly
Old 03-09-2002, 11:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to JP Noonan
The engine harness is pretty simple. The metal part of the connectors is soldered on. heat it up and replace the wire with new heavier gauge wire.
Old 03-09-2002, 02:32 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

This thread seems to have wandered and there are different harnesses being discussed...lets recenter....

The are several harnesses on the 914...none of the harnesses are 'new', but you might get lucky and score one of a very limited number of NOS. Even then you are getting a 30 year old part, it was just never installed.

1. A main harness (basically everything from headlights to taillights,
2. a fuel injection harness for cars so equipped,
3. an ignition harness for the coil starter etc and,
4. an alternator harness.
5. center console harness.
No others right?

I think that "rbrack42" initiated the thread with the idea of replacing the entire wiring harness in the car...an immense proposition really, and likely not necessary...the whole car would need dismantling. The main villains to any automotive harness is Heat, Vibration and contamination by oil/water/fluids which primarlily effect the engine bay area-FI harness, alternator harness and ignition harness. The main harness is sometimes hacked ('modified'), by well meanig PO's (never by you right?) but the usual problems relate to occasional cooked wiring from some other problem (like 130W headlight bulbs without a relay or foil wrapped fuses) or corrosion of the connectors.

I rebuild and repair the FI harnesses for the D-Jet cars, they are effectively new. I recently completed the development of an ignition harness rebuild program as well and will be offering them this summer, possibly in kit form (with proper color ceded wires!). These two harnesses suffer the most abuse because they get the most heat and vibration from the engine. The alternator harness is not generally prone to too much degradation. A new harness with new wiring and connectors or an existing harness with good connections and flexibilty solves a huge number of problems.
Old 03-09-2002, 06:29 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

The one refered to on the rennlist was a "reproduction" harness, new stuff.
Old 03-10-2002, 09:39 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Banned

Jeffs FI Harness's work great I installed one in my L13K car and It solved my nightmare, I was having intermitten shorts causing major drivablity problem. They are really nice and can recomend them to anyone needing a FI harness. Thanks Jeff for making them up. Steve
Old 03-10-2002, 09:52 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Most of my electrical problems, believe it or not, are in the cabin. My engine is carbed, so there isn't much wiring on the engine itself. The alternator harness is also a culrpit, as it has a tendency to not start until I start rattling wires all over the car. I'd like to just rewire the entire car, so I won't have to worry about all these stupid problems.
Old 03-12-2002, 07:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: