Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Pertronix help

I am installing my pertronix pointless system and have a question or two...

The ruber gromet that came with the kit sticks into the dizzy alot. It seems like whan the vac advance moves the base plate the gromet will be touched. Is this aproblem? How much does the vac advance move? .25", .5"???
The base plate can move some. What about the wires? Kinda hard to find a place to tuck them out of the way.

Thanks
Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 03-18-2002, 05:13 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Send a message via ICQ to Rouser Send a message via AIM to Rouser
I recently installed an Ignitor in a friend's FI 914 and understand your concern.

With a razor blade you can slightly trim the bottom or "roundness" of the inside part of the grommet to ensure it doesn't touch the plate, but it actually won't bother or affect it. You only need enough (inside) slack on the wires to allow the plate to move without binding.

And if you really want to view the amount of vacuum action/movement of the plate, the most ungraceful way to observe this is to slip a piece of tubing on the diaphragm and ... suck. Don't quote me, but I believe caved-in cheeks is a little-less-than 0.5".

Old 03-18-2002, 06:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I installed a pertronix in an 009 and an 050, so the internal may be a little different, but here is a tip:

The wires are really not very tight in the grommet. When installing the init, you obviously want to route the wires around in such a way so that they do not tough anything that rotates. The problem is, and accidental tug on the wires later on with pull then into the rotor.
I routed the wires correctly, then put a dab of black RTV all over the wires and grommet where they intersect. After it dries, it will be very difficult to disturb the wires inside the dizzy.
Old 03-20-2002, 07:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: