Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question 2.0 litre head rebuild Question

Sent my heads off to a local machine shop which does alot of aircooled engine work. My valves are not within specs, so they will be replaced. Apparently the valve seats are within specs. My question is, should the valve seats replaced anyway? Some suggest the seats should be replaced and others suggest I leave them alone. The engine is a stock 2.0 litre F.I. I would appreciate any and all input.

Thanks, Mike
Old 03-21-2002, 01:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

A dropped valve seat would cause a catastrophic failure, and with type-4 heads there is always that possibility. How disappointed would you be if your completely or partially rebuilt engine fails catastrophically?
Old 03-21-2002, 02:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thank you for your reply, but that you have not addressed my question. I understand and have seen the damage a dropped valve seat causes. I have also been lead to believe that replacing seats does not insure that the new seat will not fail and come loose. That is why I have asked for input from any anyone who has had experience, either good or bad with head rebuilds.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I am in the process of gathering parts for my head rebuild. I bought heads that appear to be new, at least what my mechanic says about the condition. These things are beautiful. Ebay rules!! From what I am hearing from here and around from anyone with a 914, you want to reinstall valve seats, fix cracks of course. and you want to use sodium filled exhaust valves so they stay cooler (apparently). While you are in there and I am sure I am not alone for saying this, install Euro pistons for more compression. I hear its well worth it, I am going to do it. I really can't wait I am so excited.
Old 03-21-2002, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)
Banned

Send a message via AIM to SteveStromberg Send a message via Yahoo to SteveStromberg
I have a pair of Lo-mile 2.0 heads never reworked and No cracks.Best offer. steve
Old 03-21-2002, 05:30 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Smile

Das914,

I had some heads reworked a couple years ago after an exhaust valve broke. I did not get new valve seats, but had them reground. Along with all new valves, of course, I had new guides installed, new springs, keepers and retainers. This motor is in a daily driver that has also seen numerous 200+ mile trips at interstate speeds. I think seats can be reworked once or twice before they are used up. Maybe someone else will verify that.

SteveStromberg,

Best offer? OK, $75 and I'll pay shipping.

Ed
Old 03-21-2002, 06:37 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

I'd ask the shop as they can check to see if there is any seat movement or discoloration from overheating, etc. If it was a full blown race engine then I'd say to replace them as a safety measure but a street/auto-x/etc engine they might be okay. If the shop takes their time and doesn't push things out just to make a buck, then value their opinion. Good luck.
Old 03-21-2002, 07:26 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: