Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog Tech Info Tech Forums

Search our site:    
 Cart  | Project List | Order Status | Help    
  We salute a legendary member of the community.
Thank you for selflessly sharing your wisdom with us...
Go Back   Pelican Parts Technical BBS > 1- Porsche Technical Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

HELP!!! Rust in Trunk

the trunk of my 914 has major rust. its rusted through on the floor of the trunk near the back wall. there is all so some rust in the back corner. i would like to know if anyone has had experiences trying to fix this, how you did it, $$$, and if it turned out well. thanks for your help.

[This message has been edited by rtharp (edited 05-22-99).]
Old 05-22-1999, 04:34 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Unfortunately, this is not uncommon as water can leak by the rear light assembly seals, ands typically does, and gathers in these areas to rot the metal. The best solution is to weld in a replacement rear trunk panel.
Old 05-24-1999, 07:46 AM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

I just finished doing mine. Luckily, it wasn't so far gone that I couln't patch it rather than having to weld in a whole new pan. Best bet is still cutting out the cancer and welding in new metal followed by painting.

However, if you aren't blessed with a MIG I have seen fiberglass repair kits for things like this in auto shops. The trunk is hidden under a carpet (or you can buy one) so if it is just a driver, you could go that route.
Old 05-24-1999, 01:35 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)
Hey! Nice Rack! "Celette"

Garage
I have seen an after market repair panel available somewhere. Check with Wayne, He may be able to get one. Remove the muffler,heat shield,and rear lights. Clean any oil vapor from the underside of the rear trunk floor and rear valance. scrape and seam sealer and sound deadening from around the repair area. Set the repair panel in place and scribe and trim to fit as needed. The panel can be flanged and overlapped for welding. Drill or punch holes through the top panel and plug weld. This will keep the warpage to a minimum.You will need to cut and refit the latch support. (or repair it if it's rusted off) this is fairly straight forward. You may also find that the tail light panel and valance will need a patch or two as well. If this is more than you can do seek professional help. Worse case the repairs should take about 40 hrs.This would allow for the assumtion that the paint can be matched in and you don't need a paint job as well. Good luck
Old 05-25-1999, 08:07 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

really appreciate the help, thanks
Old 05-25-1999, 08:52 PM
  Recommend this thread for the PelicanWiki    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)
Old 05-25-1999, 08:52 PM

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: