Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Send a message via Yahoo to RichMason
Fall project planning - while the engine is out...

As soon as the concrete is dry is my garage (I went 20' by 20), I'm putting my 914 up on stands to catch up on some much needed maintenance (pushrod tube leak, engine mount replacement (the engine actually rattles against something at idle), SS heater boxes, battery tray rust (including patching the firewall and engine tray), new front suspension components (bushings, ball joints, maybe the rack - what is that incredible creak?), replace clutch cable, rebuild pedal cluster, and replace all fuel lines. Is there anything else that I should consider while the car is apart (short of burning it to the ground and starting over)? I'm looking specifically for items like the plastic fuel line replacement - repairs of things that aren't really broken but should be done while they are easier to get at or because they will fail catastrophically.

Thanks,
Rich
Old 08-22-2002, 11:38 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Front a-arm bushings may be your creak - once they deform enough stuff starts rubbing. Also check the inner tie rod bushings - might be a good time to upgrade to turbo tie rods.

How about throttle and clutch cables "while you are there".

Also, you might check the clutch tube mounting in the tunnel and the firewall for cracking - fix those while it is apart.

How about adding sway bars (or at least the mountings for them) if you don't have them?
Old 08-22-2002, 11:53 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Rich,

Having just finished my engine bay while engine was removed, I'll pass on some other things that were done to my car:

-non stock firewall insulation was removed since it was a water trap at bottom. This revealed minor rust at bottom section which was corrected with Por 15.

-This is a good time to replace shifter bushing located near clutch/throttle cables.

-Good time to inspect and replace rear trunk hinge mounts if needed.

-If your planning a brake upgrade that involves installtion of vw T fitting where proportional valve goes, this is a good time to do it.

I started with a mild detailing which turned into a complete stripping of engine bay. Masked all brake lines, fuel lines and misc. cables and ended up painting everything under the rear of car as well as engine bay. Figured I'd go all the way while engine/trans. was removed and included cleaning and painting all rear suspension components and rear wheelwells. Like any paint work, seems like 90% of my time was spent masking/taping and prep.....painting only took about a hour.

I used a friends pressure washer to remove 30 years worth of old grease and grime (wheel wells, area above trans, suspension parts and rear valance). This was followed with a 3" wire brush attached to side grinder.

It was alot of work but looks like new again.

John
Old 08-23-2002, 04:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: