Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Question 2.0 fuchs ?

Hi I have a question regarding the 2.0 fuchs for 914 any special markings on the inside of the wheel ? Like. VW or ?? Hot to tell original from aftermarket ?
Old 03-27-2014, 06:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Original wheels have a Porsche part numbet embossed on the inside of one of the spokes, as well as the Fuchs logo.

The Cap'n
Old 03-27-2014, 07:19 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks Cap'n
Old 03-27-2014, 07:54 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

I had a guy swear to me that he had 3 original Fuchs so I drove 140 miles round trip from Monterey to Los Gatos to pick them up in a Hummer H1 and then another 80 miles round trip to return them (I met him about half way) when I discovered they were repros. When he returned my money he withheld $20 and explained that he had to cover his fuel. F@qr!

I had to be satisfied that I didn't get stuck with the repro's.

I had previously eMailed him to set up the meeting time and place and explained that my fuel alone cost me about $80 when I picked them up.

Later, after the return he asked me for my mailing address, presumably to send me the $20 he suckered me out of.. I never responded.

He currently has them for sale on craigslist in "SF Bay Area" but to his credit he is selling them as American Racing repro's

So... some more signs of a repro wheel:

1. The lug holes on genuine Fuchs 2.0's are cupped from the inside all the way up to the spoke wall where the ball of the lug bolts seat. On a repro there is a wall inside the lug hole about 1 or 2 cm's deep before the ball cup begins.

2. The raised spoke edges on real Fuchs transition to the recessed spokes relatively smoothly. On repro fuchs there is almost a right angle drop on the raised spokes to tje recessed spokes.

3. If you have an original Fuchs you can compare their weights. I think the repro Fuchs are easily twice the weight of original Fuchs. There is a VERY significant weight difference between them.
Old 03-27-2014, 11:59 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Good information and story frank,thank you for sharing ..
Old 03-28-2014, 08:09 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
I had a guy swear to me that he had 3 original Fuchs so I drove 140 miles round trip from Monterey to Los Gatos to pick them up in a Hummer H1 and then another 80 miles round trip to return them (I met him about half way) when I discovered they were repros. When he returned my money he withheld $20 and explained that he had to cover his fuel. F@qr!

I had to be satisfied that I didn't get stuck with the repro's.

I had previously eMailed him to set up the meeting time and place and explained that my fuel alone cost me about $80 when I picked them up.

Later, after the return he asked me for my mailing address, presumably to send me the $20 he suckered me out of.. I never responded.

He currently has them for sale on craigslist in "SF Bay Area" but to his credit he is selling them as American Racing repro's

So... some more signs of a repro wheel:

1. The lug holes on genuine Fuchs 2.0's are cupped from the inside all the way up to the spoke wall where the ball of the lug bolts seat. On a repro there is a wall inside the lug hole about 1 or 2 cm's deep before the ball cup begins.

2. The raised spoke edges on real Fuchs transition to the recessed spokes relatively smoothly. On repro fuchs there is almost a right angle drop on the raised spokes to tje recessed spokes.

3. If you have an original Fuchs you can compare their weights. I think the repro Fuchs are easily twice the weight of original Fuchs. There is a VERY significant weight difference between them.
I guess the thing to do is to be very specific and ask what markings are on the inside of each rim. Have them call you back with an answer, that way honest mistakes are not likely to happen verses simply inquiring if "are they originals?".

Many sellers really don't know the real story, and are just going by what maybe someone told them when they got them, never checking, maybe not having a clue of the marking differences that ID them.

So ask the seller to provide a description of the markings for each rim, before committing is important. I have found this out the hard way to on some items for sale.

In the above case, I don't know if seller was dishonest or really thought they were original, he may have been misinformed. I suspect it was an honest mistake, since he appears to represent them correctly once informed.

as far as fuel cost, it is nice he pays some, nicer if he paid it all, but consider that the fuel guzzler you choose to drive was beyond his control, if you drove a Prius, $20 would have just about covered the entire fuel bill. That's a bummer, I hope at least it was a nice drive for you, chalk one up for experience.

Orignals are out there, karma will have you buy some cheapo repro rims only to have you find they are really originals!!!

Thought provoking questions......
Who would return the rims if they is misrepresented as fakes, sold cheap as fakes, then after purchase they are found to really be much more valuable originals? What if the misrepresentation was noticed before the sale, who would inform the seller he really had originals for sale?

PS Good ID info, thanks

Last edited by TheCabinetmaker; 03-28-2014 at 12:36 PM..
Old 03-28-2014, 12:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCabinetmaker View Post
I guess the thing to do is to be very specific and ask what markings are on the inside of each rim. Have them call you back with an answer, that way honest mistakes are not likely to happen verses simply inquiring if "are they originals?".

Many sellers really don't know the real story, and are just going by what maybe someone told them when they got them, never checking, maybe not having a clue of the marking differences that ID them.

So ask the seller to provide a description of the markings for each rim, before committing is important. I have found this out the hard way to on some items for sale.

In the above case, I don't know if seller was dishonest or really thought they were original, he may have been misinformed. I suspect it was an honest mistake, since he appears to represent them correctly once informed.

as far as fuel cost, it is nice he pays some, nicer if he paid it all, but consider that the fuel guzzler you choose to drive was beyond his control, if you drove a Prius, $20 would have just about covered the entire fuel bill. That's a bummer, I hope at least it was a nice drive for you, chalk one up for experience.

Orignals are out there, karma will have you buy some cheapo repro rims only to have you find they are really originals!!!

Thought provoking questions......
Who would return the rims if they is misrepresented as fakes, sold cheap as fakes, then after purchase they are found to really be much more valuable originals? What if the misrepresentation was noticed before the sale, who would inform the seller he really had originals for sale?

PS Good ID info, thanks
It was most certainly an honest mistake, that's not what made me want give him a wedgie. He was actually a VERY nice guy and I was glad he took them back. My gripe about the transaction was that he withheld $20 to cover HIS fuel. I didn't withhold any amount when I paid him to cover MY fuel and I didn't ask him to pay for my fuel when I returned them. He just TOOK my money to pay himself for HIS fuel. The amount and fuel are not even an issue, it's the principle that he withheld money for HIS inconvenience. I had already accepted the loss. I should have researched and asked more questions but I took things at face-value. I didn't really know the difference between fake and genuine at the time. I have a habit of trusting people because I have high expectations and I don't hang around the wrong crowds... although some may argue that I am the wrong crowd... haha!

One more thing to consider when purchasing repro's:

The repro's are offered in different offsets. You are really going to want to know the offset if you go with repro's and ensure that if it's a set that they all have the same offset that fits your application. I think the alternative offsets were created for better fitting on VW Bug's and Ghia's.

I would have kept the repro's if they had been a complete set. Why? Because they are easier to polish and shine better.

My karma needs a rebuild but I don't think anyone would want to put in the effort and would sooner part it out or junk it.
Old 03-28-2014, 02:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank View Post
It was most certainly an honest mistake, that's not what made me want give him a wedgie. He was actually a VERY nice guy and I was glad he took them back. My gripe about the transaction was that he withheld $20 to cover HIS fuel. I didn't withhold any amount when I paid him to cover MY fuel and I didn't ask him to pay for my fuel when I returned them. He just TOOK my money to pay himself for HIS fuel. The amount and fuel are not even an issue, it's the principle that he withheld money for HIS inconvenience. I had already accepted the loss. I should have researched and asked more questions but I took things at face-value. I didn't really know the difference between fake and genuine at the time. I have a habit of trusting people because I have high expectations and I don't hang around the wrong crowds... although some may argue that I am the wrong crowd... haha!

One more thing to consider when purchasing repro's:

The repro's are offered in different offsets. You are really going to want to know the offset if you go with repro's and ensure that if it's a set that they all have the same offset that fits your application. I think the alternative offsets were created for better fitting on VW Bug's and Ghia's.

I would have kept the repro's if they had been a complete set. Why? Because they are easier to polish and shine better.

My karma needs a rebuild but I don't think anyone would want to put in the effort and would sooner part it out or junk it.
Oh, now I get it, he drove also, and he basically charged you a handling fee, that is weird at the least.

Hang in there, you'll find something good, keep looking.
Old 03-29-2014, 12:00 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: