Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

A/C condenser fan rotation??

I have the DPD condensing unit and fan. The fan is not working and I am looking for a replacement fan. When looked closer I noticed the fan rotation PULLS air through the unit. Is this true?

The frame fo rthe condensing unit has a small scoop on the rear of the frame. I fist thought the scoop went fwd to aid in the air flow but that is wrong from the installed photos I have seen.??

I just want to make sure I buy a fan that rotates right way.

Thanks

914-6 in the Werks
Old 09-17-2002, 04:40 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Garage
Va914,

If my memory serves me, the DPD has the plastic canister fan. That is the same one I'm using. The open portion is at the rear with the scoop venting warm air that has passed over the coils. SO the fan is pulling air through the coils and out the back. I also added a scoop for the front 1/3 of the coils to aid in moving more air.

So you are correct in concluding that the scoop points toward the back, and is venting the warm air that has passed over the coils.

Since your replacing the motor, it might be a good idea to find one with higher rpms, yet drawing roughly the same voltage and amps. The process of cooling the R12 requires much greater air volume than does cooling oil for example.

Also, if you're interested, I have a detailed wiring diagram for the entire AC system. I've had mine in and working for a couple of weeks now. It does quite well in this 100+ degree heat in Phoenix. I may have to add window tint next spring though to help further.

Regards,
Old 09-17-2002, 09:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
I'm in Phoenix and will need to do a complete rebuild/update of the A/C system in approx. 6MOs. when the car is finished. Would appreciate any and all A/C info you might have.

BTW, who do you use for service in town? Stuttgart Southwest, Partick, other?

Thanks,
Old 09-18-2002, 06:58 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Thanks, sure if you need a fax number contact me or you can e-mail the diagram to me

If you have any photos of the condenser and other pices installed I would LIKE to see them.

Thanks again.
Kerry

914-6 in the Werks
Old 09-18-2002, 07:05 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Brian,

I have been working with Don Jackson Enterprises near Peoria & 19th Ave. Their number is 602-997-2785. You can talk to either Don or his son DJ.

I have worked with them extensively over the past year & 1/2 while rebuilding/refurbishing my Ravenna 914 (see site link below). They have been very reliable, helpful, honest, and generous. They're not always the cheapest, but they do great work. I cannot say about the others. Once I find a reliable and trustworthy source, I remain loyal to them regardless if someone else is cheaper. To me I want the assurance that comes from knowing the job was done right, by people who've been there. Don and his sons have been racing Porsches for over thirty years.

Also, if there are any questions you have about the AC feel free to give me a shout. Since you're in Phoenix, I'd be glad to arrange to show what I've done and give you a heads up on what to expect. Plus I have numerous spare parts for 74 2.0 liter if you have needs in that area - including some AC parts.

Va914,

I've saved off a BMP image of the wiring diagram. I'll email it to you promptly. Let me know if you have any further questions.

Enjoy!
Old 09-18-2002, 08:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: