Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

how to unlock steering wheel without keys

I just bought a parts car but the seller can't find the keys. Anyone know a non-destrictive way to get the wheel unlocked?
Thanks
Ed
Old 09-25-2002, 09:27 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

There is a post on replacing the ignition switch seen in the 914 tech articles.
Old 09-25-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

how strong are you? i've done it by just turning the wheel

i'm pretty sure you can access the locking mech. if you remove the plastic on the column, but something will have to be broken or maybe you can remove the key assembly...hopefully someone will chime in here
Old 09-25-2002, 09:54 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

When i replace my ignition swith I seem to remember that you could get acsess to the wheel locking pin(or it comes out). I can't remember exactly but I know you have to remove the knee pad to get to the hex bolt under the plastic. Then the whole locking mechanism pulls off of the steering collum and then the plastic comes off. I know there is a way to do it without breaking anything. You can also start the car. Hope this helps, Dave
Old 09-25-2002, 10:30 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Yeah, I read and printed out the steering wheel and ignition replacement articles and have a few questions:

Is the wheel nut 29 or 30mm? Worst case is I buy both.

Thinking about using a 2 x 4 or something instead of "the club"?

In the ignition article, Figure 10 shows 2 screws that retain the small housing piece that constrains the switch. Once this is off, the lock spring may fall out. At this point the entire steering wheel housing comes out on the shaft. My question is, at this point in the procedure is the wheel now unlocked?

I appreciate the help

Ed

Mike; I'll probably try to muscle it first, not to mention trying my '74 red key (black ones been broken off inside ignition (unlocked) for years)
Old 09-25-2002, 10:32 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

The socket I bought for my steering wheel nut was 1 1/16" I know it is metric but this fits perfect. Once you take all the stuff off the shaft the wheel will not be locked.
Old 09-25-2002, 12:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

The wheel nut is 27mm. Be sure you have at least a 3-4" extension handy also.

BTW - anybody know how to actually remove the steering column lock? It is desirable or even required for track cars, such as mine, but I'm not sure how to go about it.
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 09-25-2002, 01:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Well, I got the wheel unlocked. The key switch removal procedure worked well. When I got to the part where you insert the key to pull out the switch, I poked the lock plunger with a long screwdriver from the other end, which started the switch out. Then I wiggled it out enough so the plunger clears the shaft. It seemed to stay put pretty well, so I'll leave it like that till I get the key.
Thanks
Ed
Old 09-25-2002, 06:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: