Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Windshields

I have a 1975 street car that needs a windshield. I did a search here but the info and links were very old. What is the latest availability? Where is the best place to buy?What seal are people using?

I tried Safelite and they could not get one.

Thanks,
Old 09-13-2014, 05:43 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Groucho Marxist

Garage
That is distressing news, as I will be needing one for my '74 soonish

Try asking at 914world
"Keep your eye on one thing and one thing only: how much government is spending, because thatís the true tax ... If youíre not paying for it in the form of explicit taxes, youíre paying for it indirectly in the form of inflation or in the form of borrowing."
Milton Friedman
Old 09-13-2014, 06:15 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Andrea Bichael

You can search in AutoZone and might be you can get there. But, I think it will be better to consult with some experienced technicians regarding this. You may get some good suggestions from them which will be helpful for you to replace your car Windshield.
Old 09-30-2014, 10:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Garage
Getting the glass is not too difficult. Finding a vendor to do the full service install, especially on the East Coast, is another issue. I think typically the windshield trim scares them away as they are afraid to be liable for messing that up. So you're typically left with three options:

1. Do it yourself. There are pretty well-documented instructions on this and other sites.

2. Keep looking until you do find someone. I found a couple, but either the price was WAY too high (e.g., $1000) or I didn't find them credible.

3. Hybrid, which is what I did. I did all the trim and trim tab work myself and prepped the frame. The local vendor supplied the glass and "plopped" it in the frame with the adhesive. Then I put the trim back on. I basically had to promise him that is all he'd have to do and that I wouldn't hold him liable.

Good luck!
Old 10-01-2014, 02:20 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

I called Pro Source
Prosource Glass International

They sold me a windshield for $195. I was fortunate that I live in Atlanta because one of their distributors is here in town and I simply picked it up. I installed it using 3M butyl tape bought on Amazon and used the primer on the frame and windshield, also from Amazon. Very happy with the results.

BTW look at BMW 320I mirrors. They can be modified to be screwed into the windshield frame where the sun visors mount rather than taping them to the windshield.
Old 10-01-2014, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Windshields

I recently purchased my new windshield from the local Porsche dealer. As a member of PCA I received a 15% discount, bringing the cost in line with most aftermarket providers. As one would expect, the glass fit perfectly. At the time of my purchase, there were a number of windshields in stock at various warehouses around the country.
Old 10-06-2014, 09:37 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: