Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
rear suspension adjustments

The rear tires of my car appear to be angled toward each other at top. I'm using adjustable bilsteins. Can this be corrected by changing the height or pearch position of rear shocks or is this corrected by changing shims installed between chassis and trailing arm?

If a shim adjustment is the right way to go to correct my situation, do I need to have spares or will removal of shims already installed in my car correct the situation?

John
Old 11-13-2002, 03:45 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

This is a add and remove adjustment.

If it has too much negative camber you will need to add shims.

A decent aggressive rear camber setting is: -1.2 degrees.

B
Old 11-13-2002, 03:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Garage
Brad,

Could you please elaborate. In my situation (tires leaning toward each other at top) do I need to have shims available for shop to install to correct problem?

My local shop swears they can do a four wheel alignment but would bet my next paycheck they don't have shims available if necessary. All I want to know is if I should have shims in pocket prior to taking my car to alignment shop.....just trying to save us both some time and aggrivation.

BTW, is the adjustment made on only one side of trailing arm? Or do both sides of trailing arm have shims?

John
Old 11-13-2002, 04:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Take shims with you. They will need them to pull some of the negative camber out. Several of them. Only the outside of the arm uses the shims. I promise they wont have shims. I normally run -1.5 to -1.7 on our prepared 914's. This is a little aggressive for a street car. Works great for Hoosier and Kuhmo tires.

Take away shims to add more negative camber and add them to "stand the tire up".

B
Old 11-13-2002, 04:27 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Thanks for the prompt reply Brad. I've only seen the shims available on ebay. Is there any other source you know of? I want to get this right the first time. How many shims for each side should I take for a street setup?

John
Old 11-13-2002, 04:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

There is NO specific number. The shims come in (at least) 3 different thickness'. Thin, medium, and thick. I would take 2 of each with me.

Ask the BBS for some shims with another post. I dont sell mine. (I will leave it at that)

B
Old 11-13-2002, 04:39 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Hopefully the lighting is good enough to judge thickness of shims.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00959.jpg (60.0 KB, 1004 views)
Old 11-13-2002, 05:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Garage
right side
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dsc00958.jpg (59.5 KB, 983 views)
Old 11-13-2002, 05:21 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

I hope this was a test fit (in the pics) The drivers side shim is not even in place.

Those are the thin shims. Take 2 thick ones and 2 medium ones.

Its nice to see both sides with the same shims. This means the chassis is semi straight and the arms where/are semi straight..

OR.. the last alignment guy SUCKED. LOL

B
Old 11-13-2002, 05:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

What is all the white sand in the fender wells ??

Oh.. that red cable needs to have a piece of fuel line placed on it (to protect it from flying debris off the tire)

B
Old 11-13-2002, 05:28 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Garage
Brad,

Look again.........I see the same size shim on both sides.

Sand: picked that up on my last trip out to flying field. Looks like the 914 will not be used to down even the shortest of dirt roads.

I'll add some protective cover over the (+) battery wire.

John
Old 11-13-2002, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Which is the shim? (arrowed)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg untitled-9.jpg (50.6 KB, 923 views)

73 Olympic Blue 914 1.7L (2L /4 back in progress)
69 Highlander Bug 1776
93 GL EV 2.8L The Van

914club.com Member #914
Old 11-13-2002, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

Center arrow is the shim. Here are some pics.

The thick shim is 3mm. The thinner one is 2mm. I believe the other size is 1mm. I don't have any of those pictured.

And I won't sell mine either. Sorry.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-13-2002, 06:33 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

John,

Brad was trying to tell you that your left side shim is not fully installed. See the front of the shim sticking out away from the mounting holes?

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-13-2002, 06:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)
Stay away from my Member

That hot wire looks like a chafing disaster waiting to happen John. In addition to putting some tubing around it, you may want to shift it away from the chassis metal a bit, or maybe use a small adel clamp or something to pin it in place. I hate hearing stories of burned 914s...
2001 F150 Supercrew 4x4 | tow vehicle
Old 11-13-2002, 06:47 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Send a message via AIM to mikester
I've got a friend that runs a metal shop...

If I Could get a good pattern on one of the shims and the measure of each thickness I could have some made I bet.

I have heard of people having them made rather than ordering them from Porsche or searching through junk yards.

I need my alignment done too...

I heart Boobies
Old 11-13-2002, 10:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #16 (permalink)

Garage
Brad, now I see your issue with the left side shim.....Ginter, thanks for pointing out what he was saying. I've been driving it that way.

Mike, let me know if you can get some made and price.

John
Old 11-14-2002, 12:17 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #17 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I can trace the shim, do some measurements and post them here if that would help.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-14-2002, 05:14 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally posted by ginter
I can trace the shim, do some measurements and post them here if that would help.
The original shims were 2mm, 3mm, 4mm; with each mm taking out 10 min. of negative camber.

ps if you need new ones they are avalible..
Old 11-14-2002, 05:36 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #19 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

I don't need new ones, but now I'm curious. Dealer only item? I didn't know you could get them at all.

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-14-2002, 06:06 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #20 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: