Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Garage
Brad's new FI system for 914?

Quote:
Originally posted by Brad Roberts
We WILL have a laptop programmable system for 914's complete for under 800$ before the end of the year.

All GM sensors (from your local parts store)

New harness (Hey Jeff)

O2 sensor plus O2 bung.

The first test's have gone really well on a stock 2.0.

You wont have to change anything but external parts on your current car. Fuel pump/lines/ everything stays in place.

This system will run any 4cyl displacement you put under it.

B
Brad,

Whats the status on this project?

Been keeping an ear open for some time now on possible alternative FI systems.

Thanks,
Old 11-14-2002, 06:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)
Mike Ginter

And how easy would be to accomodate 2 more cylinders?

Ginter's 914 stuff
Old 11-14-2002, 07:20 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Havent touched it. The biggest piece of the pie is getting the 1200 gallon water tank back in place for the SuperFlow engine dyno, so we can finish testing.

The shop move to SSI has just about killed anything and everything I needed to get done before the end of the year. I cant really complain about the situation. Very soon the headaches will be over and free time will be on the horizon.

There for awhile things where moving forward very nicely on the project. Its dead right now (read: I'm out of money for awhile)

The project lead is Mike Mueller.

Yes Ginter. It will accomodate a 6cyl.

I really want to hold off on the project until the ignition part of the equation is factored in. Right now they dont offer ignition control.

Hang in there.

B
Old 11-14-2002, 07:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Brad, you're all over the place! Developing a FI system sounds like a chore. Good luck with everything. If you are going to be doing SSI, are 914's going to become a (major)side project for you? SSI full time?
Old 11-14-2002, 08:36 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Major side project. I will maintain and build a few race cars. I brought my fabricator up to SSI and he has started his own business. We will continue to build race cars and work side by side. He has a Audi/VW back ground that I dont have.

There is "OK" money in turning wrenches and pushing parts, but the big big money is in manufacturing. I have already done the 125k a year job. Its time to step up and do the 250k a year job.

B
Old 11-14-2002, 08:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Ginter, find me a cheap MFI setup, I always thought that would be too cool to convert to EFI
Old 11-14-2002, 08:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Garage
Someone on the 911 BBS (CamB) did this. Do a search. Way, way cool.
I have a spare set of throttle bodies but you need to add EFI fuel rails, injectors, and if you don't have early 911 heads you have to machine ports for the injectors. If you do have early 911 heads you still need to adapt the EFI injectors to the threaded holes.

Add a TPS, crank position sensor, brain, fuel press. regulator and pump... Fun stuff.
Old 11-14-2002, 08:53 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #7 (permalink)

Mueller,

You'll get your chance with a certain 9146. I have a 3.2 upper intake that I have saved for this day. The MFI stack setup requires you to set up all that damn linkage and keep them synched. I'm lazy.

B
Old 11-14-2002, 08:56 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #8 (permalink)

Garage
I agree, setting up MFI linkages is a pain in the ass. I've done it a few too many times before - it takes hours if you have to start from scratch. That plus the idle correlation...
Old 11-14-2002, 08:58 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #9 (permalink)

these MFI part are going for too much money...someone on eBay is selling a setup for 1000.00 which actually is a good deal if the pump is good.....that reminds me...that guy that had the original /6 in your shop (basket case which was found in a field), he said he had a MFI pump for me to look at and play with for a while...I thought it would be neat to see it....I rebuilt pumps similar to it for aircraft

i agree, a single throttle body fuel injection is way less work and hassle, it just does not look at good IMHO
Old 11-14-2002, 09:01 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #10 (permalink)

Nevermind the fact that they came on *little* engines. They wont flow like a 3.2 upper will flow. The MFI setup looks cool, but I think a 3.2 upper on a small motor would have the same cool factor.

B
Old 11-14-2002, 09:03 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #11 (permalink)

Not to sure that the 3.2 intake would be thing to use... Different flow rates in the 6 intakes. Six TB would be the thing to use IMHO. Also using 2 Mass Air flow meters and 2 O2 sensors would be cool. Some TB have a FI port in them. Of course then is the old question of how much is this setup going to cost me???
Anybody know of someone who has done this????
Old 11-15-2002, 03:45 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #12 (permalink)

Well, if I am reading between the lines properly, Brad is going to be offering the Megasquirt system (that's what Mueller was running on his car).

I am guessing he is going to put something together so you can bolt on a go (or nearly so), but if you are adventurous, just do it yourself.

http://www.bgsoflex.com/megasquirt.html

and for support read the archives or ask questions here:

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/megasquirt/

I am in process of replacing the L-jet on my Jag with one (the computer in running - just need time to finish the car interface).
I will be putting one on my 914-6, a VW type 1, and a 2.0 type 4.

On at least one engine I am going to build intakes for both independent runner and plenum with one throttle body to see which I like better.
Old 11-15-2002, 04:28 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #13 (permalink)

Jim,

I have a 3.0 with the triple throat TWMs that made one hp more than a tired 3.0 with a 3.2 upper. Both cars had Electromotive systems with minor tuning differences between the 2. Several hours where spent on the dyno tuning these cars. I know my engine had 964 cams and headers.

The 3.2 intake is very cheap and comes with EVERYTING you need attached to it (like idle air control and fuel rails) The TWM system looks cool, but is a PAIN to tune (juts like the carbs) and people think you have carbs on it when they see it anyway. I know several SOCAL people running 3.2 intakes in their 2.0 6 cyl engines. Its a direct bolt on.

It rocks.

B
Old 11-15-2002, 02:12 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #14 (permalink)

Garage
Brad,

While I've got your attention. Are you still interested in 914 shells for the east coast? I posted the pictures you requested on my 74 Signal Orange, but haven't heard back. Not like you have anything else to do - right? Jus kiddin!

You can go to my link below, and click on the BoilerMaker Project in the left menu of the web page. The picks are at the bottom of the page.

If you're not interested, thats fine - it won't hurt my feelings none (sob, sob). Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Old 11-16-2002, 01:47 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #15 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: