Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Treating Rust

How do you get to and treat any rust in the two cross braces under each seat? It only has (1) 1/2" hole on each side!
Old 12-22-2002, 05:41 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Really no good way (that I've found) to treat the rust inside the seat cross members. If you have holes rusting through the cross members I'd recommend just cutting them out and weld in some fresh ones. Mine were fairly solid, so I used a bug sprayer and a gallon of Ospho from Eastwood and soaked the inside of both supports (not to mention both clam shells). You can get away with bringing up the stock holes abit, and adding a couple of more to assist in the "Ospho-hosedown" proceedure, and then plug them with some rubber plugs from J.C. Whitney or your FLAPS.

'73 914
'75 914
Old 12-23-2002, 10:29 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)
Never left, but not right

I used the bug spray method as well. After a thorough dry out period, I used a pressure feed paint spray gun set low at the tip so it shot out at almost a stream and aimed it inside any hole I could find. Oh, what was in the gun? POR-15.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:35 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Picklex 20

I've heard good talk on an autobody forum about "picklex". Has anybody on this forum used it?

Ralph

74 2.0
Old 12-23-2002, 05:51 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Thanks for the tips guys. I scraped all of the sound proofing crud off the floor tonight. The Milwaukee heat gun worked wonders. The cross braces are in good shape as is the rest of the floors but I saw some light rust in there and I just want to do a good job and make it last. Thanks again.
Old 12-23-2002, 10:02 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: