Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

Angry starter problems

My car suddenly decided not to start after about an hour of driving. I figured the solenoid was just heat locked and let it sit for an hour or so. Went back and no change. tapped on the solenoid a few times but no luck.

I couldn't really hear a click or anything. But when I left the ignition key on and used a screw driver to jump the 2 big terminals on the starter solenoid, the starter seems to spin quite well. However, it does not engage the flywheel. Is there a seperate circuit to engage the starter bendix?

Any ideas before I yank the starter and take it to Autozone for testing?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:10 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

just went back out to the car to give it one more try before jumping it to see if the battery was weak or battery connections loose/coroded.

it started right up

so what gives do I have a sticking solenoid? is this heat related? do I need a remote starter relay of do I just need to clean/libricate the one on the starter?
Old 01-09-2003, 03:25 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

If you jump the large flag terminal & the main hot lead from the battery it will ingage the starter. Large flag terminal is the heavy guage wire that plugs in above battery cable on the solenoid.

Same place you hook-up a remote starter switch to bump the engine over.

Did that make sense??

Amark
Old 01-09-2003, 03:31 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

here is what I see...

two large terminal & two small terminals

large out board terminal has big battery cable and medium red wire.

upper small terminal has medium yellow wire. the protective covering for the yellow wire also has 2 small wires comming out that are not attached to anything ( I cant really tell the color but it's light grey/yellow/beige or something). I don't know what these two small wires go to.

lower small terminal has nothing attached.

inboard large terminal should connect directly to starter motor.
Old 01-09-2003, 03:43 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Can't tell what color it is but it is at least 12 guage wire. It is right above where the positive battery cable bolts on to the solenoid. The flag terminal is upright. In a bind you can jump it w/ a screw driver.

Mark
Old 01-09-2003, 03:50 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

well the car starts now. I didn't do anything. it just sat for about 2 hours and cooled off. so I think I got a hot starter problem.
Old 01-09-2003, 04:05 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: