Pelican Parts
Parts Catalog Accessories Catalog How To Articles Tech Forums
Call Pelican Parts at 888-280-7799
Shopping Cart Cart | Project List | Order Status | Help

Go Back   Pelican Parts Forums > Porsche Forums > Porsche 914 & 914-6 Technical Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread
Author
Thread Post New Thread    Reply

electical questions most likely one of many questions

I just got done hooking my wiring harness up to the front of the car and the gauges. just for kicks I hook my battery charger up to postive (via the engine harness both reds)and a ground under the dash to see what works. I don't want to have to pull everything apart again if something doesnt.
So my questions are:
Should the hazard switch be making a buzzing sound when turned on.
Should the headlight motors work. Right now all I hear is a clicking sound. I have no headlights or signal lights hook up yet. And shouldn't my dash lights come on.
My fan works.
One more then to mention is I only have the charger on the 2amp charge. Could that be the problem not enough amps.
I'm going back to work on it in 2 hours so any help or insight would be appreciated
Old 01-17-2003, 11:01 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #1 (permalink)

Your particular battery charger may not have enough oomph to light up the stuff you're playing with. Clicks and buzzes (as opposed to stuff working) can be a symptom of not enough amps to get stuff going. Use your battery.
Old 01-17-2003, 11:56 AM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #2 (permalink)

Yea thats what I thought too. I will be hooking up the battery.
Old 01-17-2003, 12:34 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #3 (permalink)

Well it wasn't the battery but a bad fuse. Hazard is still buzzing when turn it on and so is the turn signals. This has got to be a common problem. Any help. It could be something simple but I am just so overwhelmed by the rewiring that I may be overlooking it.
Old 01-17-2003, 01:44 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #4 (permalink)

Garage
Bad relay or relay circuit?
2k2 VW New Beetle Turbo S
Old 01-17-2003, 01:57 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #5 (permalink)

bfrenz,
If you connected a battery charger to the wiring harness without a battery being installed, you may have damaged one or more of the electrical components in the system. The battery acts like a massive
capacitor stabilizing the voltage to a flat 12.5 to 13.5 volts (ball park).
The typical battery charger puts out pulsating DC with voltage peaks as high as 40 or more volts. Without the battery installed, those relays, buzzers, flashers, etc., are looking at what is essentially AC volts. Not good.
Phil
Old 01-17-2003, 02:18 PM
  Pelican Parts Catalog | Tech Articles | Promos & Specials    Reply With Quote #6 (permalink)

Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread: